Author Topic: New Steve roach album the passing  (Read 447 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
New Steve roach album the passing
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:28:03 PM »
www.steveroach.com/Music/discography.php?albumID=569

https://steveroach.bandcamp.com/album/the-passing

eb 16, 2017 - SURPRISE BIRTHDAY RELEASE JUST COMPLETED THIS WEEK!
This special release is a sonic gift and thank you for the years of being in the soundcurrent with me!
Also available as a LTD 300 copy CD. Order here at Bandbcamp with instant download. CD ships in mid March.

THE PASSING
The thematic essence contained in this new 60 min soundworld has haunted me since the late-90s, when I created a short piece centered on the main harmonic chord cycle for a compilation. Through the passage of time, the evanescent nature of this atmosphere only grew more poignant and deeper in emotional resonance. As life continues to be fully lived, blooming outwards and simultaneously mirrored with the passing of family, friends and animal companions, these emotions aligned and called on me. In a five day period leading up to my birthday February 16 2017, I fully immersed in the feeling this time echo delivered, realizing this long-form piece in totality.
credits
released February 16, 2017

Created by Steve Roach at the Timehouse, Baja Arizona, February 2017
Instruments : Oberheim Xpander, Matrix 12, OB8, Studiologic Sledge, Nordlead 4
Cover design by Sam Rosenthal
Mastered by Howard Givens
2017 Timeroom Editions
Soundquest Music BMI
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:46:09 AM by Ekstasis »

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
Re: New Steve roach album the passing
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 10:44:03 AM »
Played this recently and really liked it. Those who like Steve's long form pieces should enjoy this.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:26:01 AM »
Played this recently and really liked it. Those who like Steve's long form pieces should enjoy this.

I did listen to it last night, I need to listen more times to get a grasp of it, but it sounds kind of dark very sad and depressive feeling but in a good way.. I will need to listen again to sort out if I get the same feeling. But seemed to be one of the best albums in recent times. Once again need more listen to get a grasp of this longform release, but I did really appreciate the sad and depressive atmosphere not really expected it from steve.

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 05:50:20 PM »
Not a fan of the long play format.  20 minutes per song is my limit.   Preferably less than 10 minutes.  Anything longer than 20 minutes gets cut into easier to digest pieces.

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 03:38:32 PM »

I did listen to it last night, I need to listen more times to get a grasp of it, but it sounds kind of dark very sad and depressive feeling but in a good way.. I will need to listen again to sort out if I get the same feeling. But seemed to be one of the best albums in recent times. Once again need more listen to get a grasp of this longform release, but I did really appreciate the sad and depressive atmosphere not really expected it from steve.

Agree on the sad/pastoral feeling. Not necessarily trying too hard to be dark either. That I can appreciate. I don't have all his recent albums but "Painting in the Dark" is the one that hit me hardest on first listen. Like all of his albums I need several listens to really absorb them.

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 03:39:11 PM »
Not a fan of the long play format.  20 minutes per song is my limit.   Preferably less than 10 minutes.  Anything longer than 20 minutes gets cut into easier to digest pieces.

Glad I don't have this problem.  ;D

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »
I don't consider it to be a problem.  I'll buy a long play if it isn't basically the same thing for an hour.  Busting it up into a few smaller bits is easy.  Sadly, many long plays are basically the same thing for an hour. 

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 04:52:06 PM »
I'm enjoying this new one. It doesn't strike me as having a sorrowful vibe on its own, but in the context of some of the statements Roach made about it, I can appreciate that side of the recording.

Regarding long form works: I think the format works really well in this specific case. The style of the recording gradually evolves from dense textures, to discrete synths with interesting progressions, and back again to a cloud of sound. Without the long form, the evolution would be less subtle and more jarring.

Having said that, some of Roach's long-form works would work just as well as 10-minute pieces. In fact, albums like "A Deeper Silence" and the Immersion series, as much as I adore them, already seem to be nothing more than loops designed to fill up 70-ish minutes of CD space. I'd be just as happy to have shorter versions that I can play on repeat.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:01:05 PM by chris23 »

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 04:57:33 PM »
The thing I like about busting a long play up is it works better in the shuffle and you can play the whole album in a proper row if you want.  The fades are made in a way that sounds good when the album is reassembled and crossfaded.   

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 05:02:18 PM »
The thing I like about busting a long play up is it works better in the shuffle and you can play the whole album in a proper row if you want.  The fades are made in a way that sounds good when the album is reassembled and crossfaded.   

Sounds like the art of listening.  ;)

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »

Tardigrade

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 05:28:17 PM »
Roach's recent "This Place To Be" is a long player that was easy to bust up.  I think I got about 5-7 tracks out of it.  100% of the album is good.  It could be listened to in the long play form without becoming monotonous.  Still sounds good in pieces faded into something different.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 04:16:10 PM »
Just listened on Bandcamp.
Not a typical long form drone piece at all, but quite "melodic" actually. It's beautiful. Beautiful tones, harmonies and atmosphere. Yet I still feel there is some untapped potential. I think a piece like this could benefit from being just a little less repetitive and just a little more advanced in its harmony and development without losing its ambient, atmospheric qualities. Somewhere in between music that's born from the moment and music that is thoroughly composed like classical music. Or maybe I'm asking for the impossibe.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 05:34:54 PM »
I think that the the passing is kind of addicitive, problem is it feels half finished, an raw, in a bad way. It is especially the higher notes that sound bad to me, maybe it is the  Studiologic Sledge to blame ? as he  list in the album notes he use more then oberheim synths on this one.
Also in general as with latest steve roach albums, it so dry sounding, gives us more reverb, longer decay and wetter sound, Just because some people is analog purists does not mean you are not allowed to use reverb..

I still consider this as one of his better albums it is honest, it almost have a cinematic quality, I like the chord structure a lot it is addictive,  it is not the chord structure I blame but the actual synth patches used. If he have the midi saved he could easily transform it to something much better. I would like some more sounds like environmental sounds etc to be filled in. I really like that "Minor" chord in the chord structure, it sound very emotional, I guess it that specific minor chord that gives the overall sad feeling.

I have only been listening to this album in headphones, I am very sure it will sound better in the speakers since speaker listening is usually more forgiving on such details

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 06:09:49 AM »
I haven't played it on headphones yet, just speakers. I'm primarily a speaker guy but use headphones sometimes. Of his recent albums I have the one that hit me hardest on first listen was Painting in the Dark.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 12:57:15 PM »
This is an extended version of a track from many years ago that was part of a compilation album 'Steve Roach Dreaming...now, then a retrospective 1982 - 1997'

It was much shorter and one of my favourites - possibly the main reason I have kept the CD all these years.

I like the new longer version - it manages to be the same and different at the same time

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 04:43:54 PM »
This is an extended version of a track from many years ago that was part of a compilation album 'Steve Roach Dreaming...now, then a retrospective 1982 - 1997'

It was much shorter and one of my favourites - possibly the main reason I have kept the CD all these years.

I like the new longer version - it manages to be the same and different at the same time

Need to check that out...thanks for informing us.I do not remember he wrote anything about the in the album information