Author Topic: My review of "Be Left To Oneself" CD by Keosz  (Read 292 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Be Left To Oneself" CD by Keosz
« on: June 08, 2017, 08:25:17 AM »

Keosz "Be Left To Oneself" CD

Keosz is for me one of the biggest discoveries during the last few years and certainly the most unexpected. Erik Osvald, the sole protagonist behind Keosz, comes from my homecountry Slovakia (the town of Dubnica nad Váhom) and he has released his debut CD "Be Left To Oneself" on renowned Cryo Chamber label more than one year ago, but he was quite safely escaping my radar for many months to come. Shame on me for this!!! Fortunately, I am very thankful to Emil/Strom Noir for his hint on this talented dronecarver. Yeah, along with Strom Noir, this is another acclaimed soundsculptor coming from a country where drone ambient scene is basically non-existent, so it's always a truly exiting moment when I can focus on a recording made by a Slovak soundscaper. Based on two previous digital albums "Sollicitus" and "Insecure", "Be Left To Oneself" is out since April 2016 in a 6-panel digipak with stunning artwork created by the artist himself.

Exceptionally immersing journey is ignited by the opening 6-minute title track "Be Left To Oneself", which straightly drifts into massively embracing and ambiguously colored drone landscapes, bridging tenebrously nuanced dense layers with constantly permeating epic vistas. A very strong beginning!!! "Occurred" keeps tightly on intense traces, it even culminates the droning scenario, where helixing deep bass meridians persistently commingle with intangibly rawer glimpses and awe-inspiring cinematic expanses. The gates to the Drone Eden are unlocked, enter now!!! "Forfeited", the longest track on the album covering nearly 7 minutes, shifts clandestinely into calmer, cyber-tech infused terrains, illuminated during the unfolding passage by solitary pulses, then slowly metamorphosing into powerfully immense stratums, where emerging panoptic undulations alternate with multi-dimensional monochromatic monoliths, all exquisitely guarded by mesmerizingly elusive industrial oscillations. Another aural bliss by Keosz awaits here! This guy rules!!! Bravo, Erik!!! "Forlorn", the shortest cut on the CD, moves back to grandiosely atmospheric poignancy, powered by gracefully weeping spirals and introspectively engrossing hums, while sacred choirs and contemplative tinkles are occasionally riding atop. "Traitor" reveals with spiraling intensity exquisitely amalgamated with fascinatingly crescendoing and profoundly longing, nearly orchestral hymnic horizons. An all-inclusive drone elixir is served here!!! "Insecure" dives deeply into abysmally pensive sceneries, where infinite hissy coils relentlessly coalesce with evanescent voice-like mirages and ear-tickling high-pitched glimmers. Wow, this must be Keosz at his most transcendental!!! Lowest end drones safely navigate "Clearance" through breathtakingly climaxing and thrillingly enigmatic plateaus, while "Low Down" glides through unfathomably infused oracular realms, propelled by breathing machineries wrapped by steam and reinforced by remote chants (bringing back my DCD memories...). The closing track, "Before The End", is carried by balmy rain and organic sounds, which are carefully bridged with serene cascades of rawer quietudes and ambrosial evocativeness. A tranquilly dissonant conclusion!

Man, I am so proud of the talent of Erik Osvald, who is not only an extremely gifted dronescaper and visual artist, but he has a very good eye as a photographer too. And keep in mind, this is not the last sound magic by Keosz!!! Since April 19th, 2017, his second album for Cryo Chamber entitled "Ava" is out and it even shifts Keosz into another, artistically magnificent level, which deserves to be immediately explored and praised!!! And when focusing on Erik's soundsculpting wizardry, certainly don't miss also his other sonic endeavors, more beat-driven, available in digital formats through his own Bandcamp page. In any case, 49 minutes long "Be Left To Oneself" is a really outstanding debut album by Keosz, hats off to you, Erik, keep on droning and keep on unfolding your multi-talent!!! No mistakes allowed on my side this time, so I will always keep a focused ear to the ground!!! And by the way, this guy doesn't even know many of my ambient heroes as his main influences rather come from the videogame soundtracks sector, so the more I am delighted by his inherent sonic visions!!! And last but not least, kudos to Simon Heath of Cryo Chamber, who gets the mastering credit, for exploring Erik's dronescaping potential!!!

Richard Gürtler (Jun 07, 2017, Bratislava, Slovakia)