Author Topic: Do in particular old synths have a soul  (Read 279 times)

soundcollector

• View Profile
Do in particular old synths have a soul
« on: July 22, 2017, 04:53:36 AM »
interested to see what people think as i find they do at some sonic level and i cannot seem to find the same soul in my word processors vst synths even though i love some of them and they ' work ' well .

stargazer

• View Profile
Re: Do in particular old synths have a soul
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »
interested to see what people think as i find they do at some sonic level and i cannot seem to find the same soul in my word processors vst synths even though i love some of them and they ' work ' well .

The soul is found by devotion to the instrument. If this is not a plugin or computer device it could be analog equipment.
But I think it is not the cause for soulful music that arises from the soul of the musician and the soul of the instrument when both come together and merge.
Just like you have in chinese tradition.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: Do in particular old synths have a soul
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 10:52:19 AM »
Craig Anderton once wrote that he felt the player would imbue an instrument with "soul" which would continue after it changed hands and could influence a new owner.

Craig was talking guitars then. I feel that when I'm designing and storing patches in my synths, then I'm storing pieces of my "soul" in them... but, so easy to erase them.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:18:09 AM by Scott M2 »