Author Topic: Nagging iTunes distortion problem solved.  (Read 82 times)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Nagging iTunes distortion problem solved.
« on: December 04, 2017, 03:21:56 PM »
I use iTunes on a dedicated PC to stream music all over my house via an AudioEngine wireless DAC. It works flawlessly, but there has always been an annoying distortion on some tracks, particularly ambient droning mid-frequency stuff (think quieter Steve Roach recordings, Jonathan Coleclough, etc.) I used to think it was an artifact of MP3, and just lived with it. But recently it's started to really nag at me, so I set out to eliminate it. I tried direct-wiring the PC to the AMP; new speaker wire; even lowering the line-level volume, thinking maybe the DAC was coming in too hot. Nothing helped.

Realizing that maybe iTunes EQ was to blame, I checked my settings; everything was set to "none" for EQ. Hmm... So I reset each individual file to "flat" instead, and BAM, distortion gone.

Damn, that was easy!
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: Nagging iTunes distortion problem solved.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »
I've found that if the audio volume in iTunes is set to max I sometimes get a bit distortion. So, check your volume settings and turn it down a notch or two to see if that helps.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell