Author Topic: 4K movies and documentaries  (Read 1545 times)

Seren

• View Profile
4K movies and documentaries
« on: December 05, 2017, 01:50:23 AM »
Well it took a bit of time and a dispute with a large retailer over misselling a TV >:( >:( >:(, but I've upgraded to 4k TV and player.

I've not yet bought many 4k discs but the improvement is significant and both 'upsample' all other discs to the next highest spec (Blu ray to 4k and DVD to Blu ray).... I know they are not as good as watching a disc in the higher resolution, but they are not far off.
Even ordinary TV is better. In UK watching Blue Planet II on TV is often like having an aquarium in the room.

Discs:
Deadpool - brilliant.
Passengers - quiet but interesting story, brilliant picture.
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - fluff of a story but stunning picture.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - improvements harder to define.
Planet Earth II - Exquisite and Beautiful and Stunning

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
Re: 4K movies and documentaries
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 03:08:36 PM »
Planet Earth II was amazing in 4K. Be sure to grab Blade Runner 2049 when it drops.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 01:26:46 AM »
Planning to get Blade Runner 2049 as well as The Dark Knight, Interstellar and Inception and a few others over time

4K version of Blade runner would not play properly, tried 2 discs......

Also had the pleasure of watching The Bourne Trilogy, Assassins Creed, Ghost in the Shell, Lucy, Revenant, Oblivion.

Buying second hand where I can.

I've never been into watching TV, but the fight needed to get things sorted by the company that sold me the supposedly 4K TV in the first place has rather changed that.

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »
Blade Runner 2049 also on order, I got the '82 original in 4K, which looks stunning, although there are some shots that risk looking like effects shots, as the original matte paintings or miniatures are a little too revealing.

The Revenant, Man of Steel, and Mad Max: Fury Road have all looked amazing in 4K.

Looking forward to the Dark Knight trilogy tomorrow, Interstellar and Passengers.

I've only recently bought a TV capable of HD content, so I wasn't heavily invested in a Blu Ray library. In the case of 4K, it's nice not to have to decide whether a film is worth the upgrade to yet another format. I've bought Blade Runner in just about every video format since Beta.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 01:57:51 AM »
   Finally managed to get a copy of Blade Runner that plays - did not manage to watch the film in one sitting as I got a call to go and sort something out - so looking forward to the ending.
Long time since I've watched it and I've forgotten lots of bits and pieces - but it made me think more about the 'am I human or just think I am?' question than ex-machina.
   I also found myself wondering if they would have filmed the scenes where he makes her ask to be kissed if filmed now......

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 10:33:48 AM »
Criminal - with Kevin Costner - not kept this one, interesting story but not one I'd watch again.
Everest - snow whites very stunning....very tragic story.
Prestige - great story telling, enjoyed it much more this time round. I like the way the story is told through 3 different people, 2 of them reading each others books about each other...
Inception - always enjoy this film, even better in 4K
Blade Runner 2049 - great film, interesting story and great visuals.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Brilliant visuals, but not sure about the story - too much running/flying  around for me -  A bit like more recent Dr Who....also I have not decided if the retelling of IV is a good thing in exploring different themes or just lazy story telling.

Looking forward to 2001 and The Matrix.