Author Topic: Some thoughts on time and volume.  (Read 839 times)

stargazer

• View Profile
Some thoughts on time and volume.
« on: December 15, 2017, 06:34:53 AM »
Some thoughts on time and volume.

Over the years, one experiences changes in one's environment and, of course, one's own ego. One constantly tries to reconcile the relation between the development of the self and its environment. If there is no longer agreement, you actually ask yourself where the cause lies: in yourself or in your environment. Then there is a time of observation and contact to find out where you stand. For me it was time again that I thought: the world has become louder and hectic. Am I more sensitive or are others less sensitive?

A week ago, I received a new phone: a Nokia DS 130. When I picked a ringtone, I almost fell off the stool, so loud was the ringing tone. I ended up using only one ringtone, which I could then endure at minimal volume. That was the proof, I'm not deaf yet. But are the others actually deaf? Every day I see people with their smartphones, hear the phones ring, so loud! Now we have adapted my phone with own ringtones in normal volume. But it makes me wonder why this development?

Recently I heard two albums by an artist. An album from a few years ago was very balanced. Earlier, I heard his latest work: way too loud. After that, his old work was just balm. I know, we already had some topics in the direction here, for example "volume war".

Time, another topic that concerns me. My motto is actually to go through time very slowly and thereby extend the time. In principle, it is the case that time is space, and thus the longer the way, the longer the time. Of course, time goes by differently, relative to one's own feelings. But I have learned, the slower I move, the more intense I experience, and the slower the absolute time passes. The faster and more unconsciously I move, the faster the absolute time passes. The "time limit" is used up faster, without I enjoyed the way.

I have the feeling that time and volume are connected. I imagine a kind of compression (similar to music) that increases. Maybe it's because of the globalized diversity of the earth, the fast availability everywhere, too much information overload to really learn something. On the contrary, we unlearn a lot due to this flood of information and forget very fast.

A world of oblivion, that's double-edged. On the one hand you should forget, but on the other hand always remember. This mystery is it not, if you absolutely go the time and the way, dream your dreams, and appreciate the moments and memories. Today's society is between cosmic departure and digital madness. I look forward to the future, in spite of everything. :)

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Some thoughts on time and volume.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 01:51:15 AM »
I feel the same in many ways - everything is constant and louder, more of everything.....

Recently there was a BBC programme talking about how we 'consume' culture....and this seems to be a large part of the driving force.

I don't consume culture, I try to engage with it. I don't consume air, I breath it. I don't consume music, I listen to it. I don't consume a beautiful sunset, I enjoy it and preferably share the moment as well.

Some of my favourite moments are the quietest.

phobos

• Its still dark, even with the light on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 05:53:20 AM »
Only one thing you can be sure of regarding time, is that we, as mortals, will never have enough of it. :(
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobosdrones.wixsite.com/phobos
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 01:09:15 PM »
Andy: Especially now in christmas time it is sheer "consume" madness. And no one has time left either. All want to take the same bus, all want to buy anything, all walk blindsided to their goals. Yet inbetween you can find the quietness, an old man who cant walk quickly, a woman who crosses others ways and stop them by her slow moving. Or friendly people who ask me for the right railway platform. Indeed these are cool moments in a hectic railway station in the big city.

David: I also would love to be immortal. Not for to have more time but to become timeless. On the other hand I love the thought that any moment may be our last and everything is more beautiful therefore.  ::)

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 06:50:27 AM »
Interesting thoughts here.

Regarding the consumption of culture, I took a day trip into NYC a few months back....I was staying about 40 miles away in New Jersey.... to visit the Museum of Modern Art, my sanctuary when I live in the city 25 years ago.  Well for one the museum had gone through major architect changes that turned the people viewing the collection into cattle being herded through small galleries with no way near enough space to view the large scale abstract expressionist paintings and then you can't put 10 such paintings, think Rothko, Pollack, deKooning to name a few into one room that should have perhaps 4.  I recall strolling through the museum when I lived in the city and the galleries were spaced like that, large rooms with a few paintings.  It was not a good experience and not how art should seen.

Heres the point though,  certain "famous" paintings in the collection could have up to 20 people gathered around.....Vincent Van Gogh's "Starry Night" was one in particular.
Out of those 20 people around 15 of them had their cell phones up to their faces either taking pictures or video.  It seemed  the experience of looking had been replace by the capture of not the experience itself but the object.  Perhaps because it is valued at close to 300 million dollars if it went to auction.  Some people would just snap with their phones and then walk away.

I found the whole thing a bit shocking to the point of disgust.....certainly my fond memories had been trashed, well not the memories but the hope of resisting them. To wonder again in a place of solace and protection form the everyday chaos of the city outside.
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 02:29:26 AM »
Julio, certainly a sad picture you paint of the experience, you do convey the sense of looking rather than seeing
I suppose if you know the place you could try going when least number of people are there.

I travelled to the Dine and Hopi reservations in the mid 90's. It was clear that despite having a month there was just too many places to visit and do them justice.
In the end we picked 4 places and stayed about a week in each.
In the Canyon de Chelly we spent 2 days with a young guide and because we had no cameras and were asking questions with respect he took us places people normally don't go - including his families Hogan and some of the sacred sites normally not accessible.
Experiences and memories to be treasured.

I find if I have a camera with me (I don't use a phone for this) I end up thinking about photographs - how to frame them, what sort of image am I questing? Which is good for artistry but distinct contrast to how I usually like to be when in nature....

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 02:10:54 PM »
Thank you both for your stories. Some snapshots of intense moments.

1. The day when I discovered the heron that lives by the river.
2. The tree infront of the window, a zoom to the raindrops on the branches.
3. A bridge where you only get a true insight when you cross in a train.
4. The tree showing its budds and the branches are covered with snow.
5. The tree under the winter sky, a rare moment of winterblue color.
6. I looked outside the window, so beautiful this moment.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:26:17 PM by stargazer »

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 06:21:50 AM »
Julio, certainly a sad picture you paint of the experience, you do convey the sense of looking rather than seeing
I suppose if you know the place you could try going when least number of people are there.

Sad indeed. I have many fine memories of life in NYC, the place that I was born yet with so much time away it was a bit of a culture shock I think. The city itself has become a giant museum or show.  There was no really difference from what was happening out on the streets of the city and within the cultural inner sanctums.  Perhaps thats a good thing or certainly interesting but personally I came away with the question.....what purpose does it serve?  Obviously to the millions that work and live there it has many.  To me the whole thing seemed rather pointless and the cultural temples that were once a place of inspiration and spiritual reflection are gone as I knew them.

This is as much a statement about time itself......now many be a good time to try and read Marcel Proust, "Remembrance of things Past"......all 7 volumes  :o

Like the visual context Jana!

"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 09:36:38 AM »
Julio: I found NYC overwhelmingly beautiful when I was there in the 90s, great city, great diversity, and a big city where things change faster. That's why I like my memories, memories that sometimes can not be relived.
I've never read Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past" ("In Search of Lost Time") but it's certainly a big drama similar to "War and Peace" by Tolstoy.