Author Topic: What is the next album you would like to buy?  (Read 10252 times)

elias

• View Profile
What is the next album you would like to buy?
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:21:44 AM »
What is the next album you intend to buy?

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
Re: What is the next album you would like to buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 03:37:19 PM »
Looks like Roach's "Landmass" is next on my list. And I'm pretty excited about it too!

spunknik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 03:54:42 PM »
I would like to purchase the Controlled Bleeding boxset on Vinyl on Demand.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
That Controlled Bleeding looks mighty tempting...

I'm eyeballing the Gas 4-disk box set; I just gotta justify the cost.  :-\
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

spunknik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 03:07:43 PM »
Yes,I would like to have Gas too!

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 05:30:04 PM »
I have the 4-cd Gas set, definitely worth the $30.00 I paid.

southfacing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 05:25:05 AM »
more Harvey Milk.

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:21:41 PM »
more Harvey Milk.
That is sick, Paul. Hours ago i finally ordered my
Pleaser 2xLP. Harvey Milk are the shit. Yeah. 8)

I am looking forward to get my Blemish Vinyl
from the incredibly talented David Sylvian.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »
Harvey Milk are the shit.

Don't know anything about them, but they were just in town, apparently for the first time on the West Coast.  It guess it makes a certain amount of sense, this being the Bay Area.

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:18:49 PM »
The new Vir Unis, although I haven't read any reviews yet.  Anyone have this yet?

southfacing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 01:27:50 AM »
That is sick, Paul. Hours ago i finally ordered my
Pleaser 2xLP. Harvey Milk are the shit. Yeah. 8)

I am looking forward to get my Blemish Vinyl
from the incredibly talented David Sylvian.

Ah cool - I bought 'Special Wishes' after seeing them at the Supersonic Festival and I was blown away. Unfortunately I'm on a music buying hold at the moment because I have so much new stuff to get value out of, but as soon as I get back to the shops, it's the rest of the Harvey Milk catalogue for me.

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 06:09:03 PM »
New Entia Non.

Or Oophoi's next release.  ;)
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 08:14:22 PM »
Coh - Seasons 2x12".  Anyone willing to part with a copy?   

Jason
infractionrecords.com

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 06:06:50 AM »
The new Vir Unis, although I haven't read any reviews yet.  Anyone have this yet?

If you're talking about Drawn from the Well - the collab between John and Dean Richards (Disturbed Earth) - hit the front page of the AtmoWorks community site.   Halfway down the page is our music player and there are previews of all three tracks in the player (you can double click on a track title to skip to it).    Of course I'm a bit biased since they're friends of mine - but I quite like the album.   The first track is a long (around 48 minutes) drifty ambient track.  The 2nd is mostly Dean playing guitar and I found challenging to listen to at first and it grew on my steadily the more I listened to it.    And I admit - I can't remember the 3rd track at the moment... (hey, I'm not perfect!)   :)

http://www.atmoworks.com

As far as my next album... I just placed an order yesterday - here's a cut/paste from another thread with the list:

Ok - ordered! Note - the 'intro to All Saints Records' is only $2.99!!!

The Coldest Season [Audio CD]
By: DeepChord Presents Echospace (Artist)

Fourth World, Vol. 1: Possible Musics [Audio CD]
By: Jon Hassell (Artist), Brian Eno (Artist)

Fourth World, Vol. 2: Dream Theory in Malaya [Audio CD]
By: Jon Hassell (Artist)

Ambient 4: On Land [Audio CD]
By: Brian Eno (Artist)

Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror [Audio CD]
By: Harold Budd & Brian Eno (Artist)

Winged Migration [DVD]
By: Philippe Labro (Actor), et al

The Pearl [Audio CD]
By: Brian Eno (Artist)

Compounds + Elements: An Introduction to All Saints Records [Audio CD]
By: Various Artists (Artist)

As for additional music lust... I just ran across the Orbital - Live at Glastonberry 2xCD + DVD set and a Juan Atkins classics cd.    I'm also really looking at some recent Echospace discs from Rod Modell/Deepchord and Quantec.

Of course - I just ordered a bunch of discs so I'll probably wait a bit!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 06:09:30 AM by jkn »
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 11:11:30 AM »
The item I have been debating for the last week is

Wolfgang Voight - Gas - Raster Noton
(I purchased the Nah Und Fern and was very happy.  This piece (Raster Noton) is mighty expensive: it's 1CD and a 128 page book featuring photographs. I still don't know how it adds up to $45)

On a sidenote JKN that Deepscape Presents Echospace is a mighty fine piece of Dub techno. Deepchord just finished a set of remixes for Model 500...I believe it's called Starlight (Remixes) and it features a variety of other remixers like Connvextion, Soultek, and most importantly  Moritz von Oswald.  I have really been enjoying this remix album as of late.  And to make matters worse for your pocket keep your eye out for the [bvdub: Return to Tonglu] coming out on Quietus recordings.  These pieces are very limited and expensive if you don't pick them up after a few weeks.....I think Undershadow created a dub mix that featured some of bvdub's work.

Fern

Undershadow

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 12:15:14 PM »

Personally, I'd advise against that overpriced, admittedly nice-looking, GAS package. I didn't invest myself, but I have heard the music contained, which is an oddly dissonant collection of early beatless collage works that fails to connect. Only the last track ("Tal 90 (Version)") has the resonances of the Gas/Voigt familar from the '96-'00 quartet bundled on the box set.

As for bvdub, yeah, I did include him in a mix I put up - here's the link again, case anyone interested blinked when I posted: http://albient.livejournal.com/1738.html
And he's put a nice new track up in his myspace player, called "palace of winds": http://www.myspace.cn/bvdubtechnology

Oh, yeah, that The Coldest Season is a goodie, as is the Model 500 Starlight Remixes collection, like the man like Fern says.

Yes, it's a good time for those of us who never totally got our fill of dub-tech kicks on Berlin '96  ;)

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 12:48:41 PM »
Yep - I was looking at all the Model 500 / Juan Atkins new releases coming out and Starlight definitely caught my eye!    I need a raise so I can afford more... ha.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 01:35:35 PM »
I bought the Raster Noton Gas book, because I am crazy.  I'd have to agree with Alan above—even I, a confirmed Gas-a-holic, find this to be little more than a curiosity.  Nothing to match the benzo-bucolic power of the original Gas records, though it does provide interesting insights regarding the early Gassy experiments of Voigt and his working methods.  I suppose the book/CD clears up the question of whether there was more Gas-work waiting to be, uh, passed—this seems like the rest of the archives he considered worth, uh, releasing.  And another thing: the bonus track from the double LP of Nah und Fern is on the book's CD, too.  No sign of the 20" to 2000 work, Modern 12", or Oktember 12", though.

I will have you know I resisted many more Gas jokes, so as not to be a Gas-hole.   :'(

The ambient album I'm waiting to buy is Michael Mantra's new one, Mobius Logic on Silentes.  Anybody got it yet?

Undershadow

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 02:14:31 PM »
Haven't heard that new Michael Mantra, Brian, but it's now on my radar - will let you know.

Um...seems like everyone's talkin' 'bout the price of Gas  ;)

And since you bagged that Gas, I guess that'd make you a Gas-bagger  ;)

(no, stop, please... it's too much)

Rumour has it that Wolfgang Voigt is to market a new effects device for guitarists to create that lush teeming forest-y textural sound patented on his albums. It's to be called (wait for it...) a Gas pedal (hysterical mugging to camera)  :D

OK, now, seriously, the next ambient album I'd like to buy is Alio Die & Aglaia Private History of the Clouds on Infraction. Not due till November I'm told, alas, so looks like I've got a long wait :-|
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 02:43:33 PM by Undershadow »

Ferngerms

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 08:46:19 PM »
Thanks to Undershadow and Brian I will pass on the Raster Noton!  One of the reasons I had a difficult time deciding on whether to by the GAS is that next year in the summer that damm album is probably going to be fetching around $100.  None the less I am happy that I have not invested $50 on a forgettable patchy album.  Second reason: I did not find the available samples promising and worthy of $50......

Next album on my list is the Michael Mantra - Mobius Logic - Silentes

(It's good to know that others have this album in mind)

Another album that I have a keen eye on at the moment is

Steve Moore - Demo 2003 - HLAVA 2x12"
(This man is the other half of the experimental rock band Zombi.  I must say he really has an incredible control of his synths.  This is sequencer music that reminds me of early Klaus Schulz, Spyra etc. And by the way he has a remix coming out on Temporary Residence and it also features an Eluvium remix Check out here http://www.myspace.com/stevemoore2600)

P.S. Zombi kind of sounds like Ash Ra Tempel if you are interested in that type of music...perhaps a bit more accelerated not as relaxed.

Fern