Author Topic: A world full oblivion  (Read 3131 times)

stargazer

• View Profile
    • Jaja | Space Music
A world full oblivion
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:09:41 PM »
A world full oblivion.

How I grow older and wiser, I experience different shades within the shades. Sometimes I am lightweight like a bird of the skies.
Sometimes I am devastated when I see a tree in its full life to be amputed to its bones by stupid people, only to give it a last week before felling.
This tree must have been 100 years old.

There was someone who planted this tree, and watched him growing. Now the one is maybe gone and another one decides to fell a 100 year old entity.
I love every tree, every animal. The pigeons in the city are called rats. Pigeons are so sprightly birds. They reminds me to cats sometimes.
The rats are tiny or really big, just as different as humans. But it is my view. Or is it a forgotten or never lived view?

Attention and mindfulness to one another, a rare thing? Skin-deep soul searching for nothing, reality?
Sometimes I would be a Samurei, and I fight against the oblivion. Sometimes I would be the bird of the skies and glide over them.
Sometimes I realize that how I get older and wiser, the shades within the shades deepend.

Seren

• View Profile
Re: A world full oblivion
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 01:30:57 AM »
The human condition, a constant balance between positive and negative....

Sometimes I remember that there must have been more acts of creation, harmony, pleasure, love, connection - if there had been more of the other sort we would no longer be here....

But it is sometimes hard to remember and hold to that...

FabioKeiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 07:14:10 AM »
never take refuge nowhere but inside of yourself

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 07:50:59 AM »
Yes Jana, we live in increasingly God-less times (and I'm not referring to any concept of orthodox religion, there), the pursuit of Mammon is engulfing us.

stargazer

• View Profile
    • Jaja | Space Music
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:22:02 PM »
Thanks all for your statements. Very much appreciated.

Today I wanted to take a photo of the tree, and while I was gazing at the tree, a neighbour watched me. So I asked her about the tree's destiny.
She said the owner of the house had changed and he had decided to ampute the branches because of an infestation.

Actually for the last 5 years she cared for the tree. So she is absolutely saddened because the tree was riddiciously amputed by the new owner.
She also said the tree could have healed itself. The good news is, the tree won't be felled, and so we hope it will be alive and green again in spring.

We also saw a bird returning to the tree first time, actually they all have left. Tommorrow I will take the picture.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 09:57:03 PM »
I'm glad to hear the good news about this tree.  >*<

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 02:00:29 AM »
Nice to hear the positive news

It can depend enormously on the species of tree....

In the UK there are ancient coppices (trees cut down to just a little above the ground), which if managed well last many years longer than if the trees were never touched by human hand. It is part of the complex interactions between humans and nature that can have positive aspects - the cycle of growth and cutting allows wood for human use (was very important in supplying firewood and shelter when there were not too many of us) and maintains a habitat for wildlife that would eventually be taken over by full forest.

Pollarding is when the trees are cut to a height that is higher than coppicing - can often look like an outstretched hand

Some trees - against a 'common sense' understanding - do thrive when treated this way. London Plane trees can easily survive a severe cutting back which would just kill many other species.

Look forward to the photo.

stargazer

• View Profile
    • Jaja | Space Music
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 02:40:16 PM »
Thanks for the positive resonance and the information about coppicing and pollarding. The other day I thought about that we humans are just like a natural catastrophe.
Like thunder, lightning and storm, we destroy, and like the ashes after fire are the ground for new growing, we humans seed and reforest.

So today I made the photo of our amputed chestnut tree. I searched my ipod for old photos of the castanea and found two shoots from our window.
You can see the castanea behind our tree across the street behind the house. It is as tall as the house itself.

Now it looks this way (reduced to half of the height of the house):

Also in a neighbourstreet we have three amputed chestnut trees:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 01:58:53 PM by stargazer »

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 01:44:00 AM »
That is quite a severe cut back - but the tree does have the chance to flourish in a different way - often when cut back like that it gives a 'starting' point to future cuts.

Lime trees also seem to manage such cut backs, they have a lot of 'epicormic' growth - which means they can bud from the trunk/bark and well as branch tips.

This is a nice webpage: http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20151118-11-legendary-trees-to-celebrate-national-tree-week   which includes pictures of stunning trees - including a 2,000 year old coppice....

I have been through periods when I feel we are not even as pleasant as storms etc - at least they are natural events. Now I tend to see us as 'impacters' (a little like beavers do) - we affect and impact the environment around us as part of our 'natural' essence. The question is more about what sort of impact we choose to have......

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 06:10:47 AM »
Very interesting thread......it started sad with the apparent demise of a tree and already there is new life within the thread itself.

I grew up in the UK, mostly in the countryside, Yorkshire and the north, Berkshire and Gloucestershire in the south.  The landscape, woods etc were all for the most part pastoral.  It never occurred to me that the beauty of it was not create by nature but by human design.

In American there is not much that I would call pastoral, though there is plenty of farmlands.  Here there is wilderness and that for the most part means trees, dense trees that go out and on for hundreds of miles. Human interaction wth the wilderness usually is the felling of trees to make way for "development" or straight up timber for consumption.  Certainly there are parks to protect, immense ones that rival the size of some countries. 

There is quite an abrupt division between urban/suburban and wilderness.  There seems to be no middle ground.  I don't recall this in Europe.  The human foot print quickly disappears here and one is left with the raw beauty that sometimes can be a challenge to survival in extreme case.  Perhaps it is this complete immersion that is the appeal and draws us into the untouched wilds

I have hiked in these expansive forests and I found that the endless density actually became claustrophobic.  Natures design is utility.....whatever can reach up to the light does so regardless. Its interesting how here you go hiking whereas in the Uk one goes for a walk.

Ultimately I prefer the pastoral landscape that I grew up with and the trees with space so this human can marvel at their individual splendor.

I think I just went completely off topic...well, meandered. :)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 06:12:52 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 08:42:16 AM »
Not off topic, but exploring connected paths.

I worked in a north wales forest of 500 acres of ancient and semi natural woodland - was a stunning experience. I met the same snake shedding it's skin in the same place 3 years running - felt to be an honour. Planted lots of trees as well...

Then I lived opposite Cader Idris where I got to know the local farmers and was allowed to wander pretty much anywhere I wanted, including off the paths and found many secluded nooks and cranny's.

Currently I go wandering around a small local area of hill, stream and woodland. I don't go 'hiking' as I like to spend time in different areas, getting to know the cycles of the plants etc - wondering why adjacent fields have different flowers, finding the quiet places where rare flowers grow. Sitting quietly enough for a pair of hares to wander within 4 foot of me.

stargazer

• View Profile
    • Jaja | Space Music
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 02:11:08 PM »
Thanks for the great pictures and the link to bbc Andy. Ancient nature ...

I love the wild forests, they have sort of natural order. I grew up 50 meters to a forest with oak trees, beech trees, birch trees, pine, fir trees, alder.

But one of the cutest moments I had in a reforested forest:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:18:09 PM by stargazer »

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 04:00:32 PM »
Seren those photographs are wonderful.....thanks so much for sharing.  What a privilege to have this close to you. And 3 years in in 500 acres of forest....special.

The picture with the bench overlooking the river/estuary is breathe taking. Where is that?.....you mention Cader Idris above the photograph.

Jana seeing those fir/Pine trees reminds me that we have had the same Christmas tree for 3 years now. There is another one that we planted that did not look to good but it came back and now is where it belongs.  Im not into christmas though I was raised with it and it took a fair bit of persuasion to get my wife to break with tradition.  Now we have the smallest unpruned and wild tree as christmas trees go...but its alive!  When the season is over back out into the garden it goes until the following year.

I have always hated dragging a dead Christmas tree to the curb to be picked up like garbage.   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:06:43 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 01:46:13 AM »
My pictures were all gathered from the web.....thanks for the other beautiful pictures.

I was in the forest for 5 years, but met the snake on 3 of them...
Was hard work but stunning. I had a 'tied' cottage for the job - out the door and into the forest - often only saw my direct boss for about 15 minutes a week as we worked in a department of 2 1/2 people......

Cader Idris is on the Mawddach estuary in West wales - slightly to the North on the Coast - Barmouth is on the north side of the estuary at the coast and Fairbourne is on the South side.

The picture is taken from a viewing point on  the 'Panorama walk'. I lived in a 500 year old cottage 700 foot above the estuary about a mile or so further inland from the photo....

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 06:54:57 AM »
I love trees and am fortunate to be able to be in woods pretty much every day when I'm out walking the hound. The natural world seems to me to be the 'real' world, as opposed to that increasingly crazy world that we hear about  in the news etc.

stargazer

• View Profile
    • Jaja | Space Music
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 01:25:05 PM »
To live near a forrest is a pleasure Pete. I did in my childhood (as already mentioned above) and this formed my whole life. Everytime I see a tree I am in love with it. I feel so comfortable within trees.
I am glad to have alot of trees in my city. Without I would feel uncomplete. I hope this sounds not too esoteric. But I also think the natural way is a real way.

Julio, christmas trees for sale. I never bought a tree without roots. The last christmas time I bought my little Caucasian fir that is now growing in the garden. I know the Americans are too cheesy at Xmas especially.

Andy, you are blessed to have worked in the forest. It must have been the best time of your life and maybe it still is? Do you have some work there right now?

A zoom into the tree infront of our window:

My Caucasian fir in the garden:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 09:02:06 AM by stargazer »

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 02:41:42 AM »
It was one of the best times of my life, beautiful but hard physical work - never needed a gym or to 'exercise'.
   I was hardy enough to work hard, eat lunch and then have a nap in the snow....wouldn't try it now.

I now work in a hospital - so very different environment. I try to get to my local favourite woodlands as often as I can... 8)

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 09:21:55 AM »
Interesting thread. I am also increasingly concerned regarding the state of our world and society. Perhaps things will improve. I doubt it.

Enjoy coppicing my Cornus shrubs when required. Pruning is quite therapeutic and satisfying I find. I have tried to plant native, indigenous shrubs and trees in my new build garden. It has been quite a challenge starting from scratch but just about there now. Favourite trees have to be Rowans. Managed to plant about six different sorbus species .

I live in a very rural location however I like to escape to this wilderness ;

Glent Tilt, near Blair Athol. Just a bit up the road from me, try to get up to Highland Perthshire at least twice a year. There are remnants and hints of the ancient Caledonian Forest here. Covered the entire country in ancient times. A lot of work being done to preserve and increase these areas. Itís worth it .........

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 01:47:08 AM »
beautiful looking places too...

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 07:03:54 AM »
Heres a few images I took of a State park thats very close to where I live.  Its very serene but what makes it more so that cannot be known from looking at the images is that a few miles away is an immense super Walmart and all the suburban noise, traffic and chaos that accompanies it.  In the other direction about a 1/2 miles is the intercostal waterway and then the Atlantic ocean.

This place is a strange anomaly because deep within other then a few distant cell phone towers there are no signs or noise of the pandemonium that reigns quite close.

One gets a real sense of a pre historic past as this place has not be touched since mother nature original created it......oh and it does have a few formidable residents such as large Alligators, Wild Boar and Diamond Back Rattlesnakes but you have to go looking or be just unlucky to find them.  People do kayak these waters.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:11:03 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »