Author Topic: Ron Boots  (Read 4742 times)

judd stephens

• View Profile
Ron Boots
« on: December 14, 2007, 09:51:57 PM »
Ron Boots is an artist I've always wanted to hear, but finding sound samples of his discs is really hard.  I'm intrigued after reading the reviews, and now Hypnos has some new issues of Tainted Bare Skin... would anyone recommend that?  The loud driving sequencer stuff kind of turns me off, but the descriptions say there are beats and techno influences, so it's hard to imagine, yet intriguing.  I enjoy the more moderate or even keeled sequencer music, maybe with occasional crescendos, so some of these described "energetic tracks", well I just don't know about (that's why some of the DiN descriptions usually I just pass on)  I've enjoyed TD's Phaedra, Dweller at the Threshold's Oouroburos... some dub too like Bluetech is cool.  So, who likes Ron Boots and why?  Or why not? 

Also, a quick question for Mike:  any chance of getting Rudy Adrian and Ron Boots "Across the Silver River" back in stock?  Maybe it's out of print...

modulator_esp

• the lost tribe of Em
    • View Profile
    • Modulator ESP
Re: Ron Boots
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 08:28:44 AM »
There are some samples here http://www.groove.nl/cd/g/gr-016.html

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 08:59:22 AM »
Ron Boots is an artist I've always wanted to hear, but finding sound samples of his discs is really hard.  I'm intrigued after reading the reviews, and now Hypnos has some new issues of Tainted Bare Skin... would anyone recommend that?  The loud driving sequencer stuff kind of turns me off, but the descriptions say there are beats and techno influences, so it's hard to imagine, yet intriguing.  I enjoy the more moderate or even keeled sequencer music, maybe with occasional crescendos, so some of these described "energetic tracks", well I just don't know about (that's why some of the DiN descriptions usually I just pass on)  I've enjoyed TD's Phaedra, Dweller at the Threshold's Oouroburos... some dub too like Bluetech is cool.  So, who likes Ron Boots and why?  Or why not? 

Also, a quick question for Mike:  any chance of getting Rudy Adrian and Ron Boots "Across the Silver River" back in stock?  Maybe it's out of print...

We've got 'em, Judd:

http://www.hypnos.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=groove37

There are only 2 copies in stock but this one doesn't sell very fast any more.  We also have a ton of other Boots & Adrian (separate projects I mean)
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 11:15:10 AM »
Tainted Bare Skin is a landmark release from master soundscapist, Ron Boots.  Ron is at his best creating strong sound designs and high tech minimalism.  This set features those strengths and then some.  He juxtaposes his minimalism with some strong electronic rhythms and eerie samplers.  This scherzo is quite effective.  This is ambience for deep listening.  It must be heard deeply to be appreciated.  Like all Ronís music, this is not subtle.
it has been a long time since i listened to this but ron almost always has atmospheres surrounding his sequencing.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 01:59:17 PM »
I've got a couple of Ron's releases, one of my favourites being 'Of Desolate Places And Urban Jungles', released 10 yars ago on a 3" CD by the Amplexus label. A really good mix of beats and sound recordings that creates it's own path.

Don't know if it's still available or not.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 09:13:30 PM »
Tainted Bare Skin is a landmark release from master soundscapist, Ron Boots Like all Ronís music, this is not subtle.

Yeah, this was what I was kind of assuming.  Don't know if my heart can take a full cd of the driving sequencers... Thanks, I appreciate all the info.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 11:55:48 AM »
There should be sound samples at the Groove Unlimited site.  My fave Boots CD's would be Screaming Whispers, Close But Not Touching, Joie de Vivre. Boots' music is very Berlin-school influenced with a modern touch. He definitely has his own sound.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 02:34:32 PM »
I've got a couple of Ron's releases, one of my favourites being 'Of Desolate Places And Urban Jungles', released 10 yars ago on a 3" CD by the Amplexus label. A really good mix of beats and sound recordings that creates it's own path.

That's probably my favorite from him as well. Its also probably his most different release compared to the few I have heard. Ron mostly does what I would call melodic berlin school music.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 03:27:15 PM »
When I solicited a track from Ron Boots for the Hypnos compilation, The Other World, I suggested to him "Maybe something like your Amplexus disc," because I wanted him to do something a little more atmospheric, and tone down the overt Berlin School stuff.   
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 02:27:27 PM »
bump - just because
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com