Author Topic: R.I.P. Backroads Music  (Read 15752 times)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
Re: R.I.P. Backroads Music
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 11:22:34 AM »
In that case, consider that one pint of ale at the corner pub approximately equals one 350ml bottle of Yoo-Hoo at the corner store, which approximately equals one Whopper With Cheese Value Meal at the McDonald's down the street.
mixed metaphor? whoppers at mcdonald's?
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

triptek

• View Profile
    • extreme short-field airplanes
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 01:33:17 PM »
See!!!! you should listen to Mother and not talk behind her back
"I might be there, then maybe not".....

triptek

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 02:16:12 PM »
I should mention here that I've been listening to EM, space, ambient, krautrock, and prog longer than most. I was a true fan of Lloyd long before he threw in the towel. That my friends is the way the business deals it's cards. Now you have all these artists and self produced labels and such that it really boggles my mind how any of you can succeed in a genre no one gives a hoot about. Look, if it were such a big deal, Tangerine Dream would be touring the US every year, ha!!! they haven't been here since 1992 for a full blown tour, except for the one-off concert in LA last year. Why?? no record support in the States. Lloyd was instrumental in bringing much of the music we like to the forefront. Heartbeats and the like was a well manufactured product with amazing results. The pop culture with it's millions of sales are supported by mega bucks promotion gimmicks, none of which appeals to me. I'm the Steve Roach, spaced-out hippie Viet Nam vet who likes the music I listen to for a specific reason and others do too... So go get yourselves a legitimate record deal and give it ten years, pay your dues, and then you have someting to bring to the masses...

LLoyd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 02:22:36 PM »
That was fun!  But again I stress Lloyd (that's me) has in no way thrown in any towels.  I guess you can't say the word "closing" and have people hear the next word called "opening"...  In this case, Backroads not only closed but totally left the planet and what a blessing that is!  Opening, or as I like to say, launching, will be my new co. "LLoyd Barde productions" and CD sales will be one part of the offerings.  If you would like to see an amazing list of CDs, just send me an email.  The web site is not yet up (beyond a "place-holder page") but in the next 3 weeks or so it will become visible and viable.  You are welcome to call to ask about CDs, too, just like always.  I converse with music lovers, old and new, daily.  Mostly this happens when I am in the office, because if I'm not here, nobody is!  Anyway, there is more good music than ever, regardless of the numbers, sales, business conclusions or what have you.  Will be happy to hear from you, any and all of the you that reads this...

triptek

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 02:31:43 PM »
Lloyd it's me Steve-O in Wisconsin and I already know what to do..........see just that simple

I'm M.E.M.O.

Courtney

• View Profile
Resurrect Backroads as an iTunes type store?
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 11:37:12 AM »
I am curious to see how many people would be interested in an iTunes type of online music store that specializes in New Age, Dance, World, etc music that Backroads use to carry?

Courtney

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
Re: Resurrect Backroads as an iTunes type store?
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 03:06:17 PM »
I am curious to see how many people would be interested in an iTunes type of online music store that specializes in New Age, Dance, World, etc music that Backroads use to carry?

Courtney
i tunes has hundreds of downloads in those styles already. however, it would be exciting to see if a store with that narrow a niche would work.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 04:54:26 PM »
Itunes sucks, though - they have all those annoying "locks" on the files.

Amazon has quite a bit of stuff, but the downloads are all around 220, not the full 320kps, so you're better off buying the disk.

There's a neat site called "Bleep" that has tons of stuff in a more techno/IDM vein (go to http://www.bleep.com/).  It'd be neat if they added more ambient stuff, since they appear to offer everything at 320.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

kosmischemyke

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2009, 05:05:38 PM »
[post edited by Forum Moderator due to violation of member terms -- you can complain here, but you can't slander]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:15:02 PM by mgriffin »

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2009, 07:25:21 PM »
Backroads in Corte Madera, CA finally gone? That's the BEST thing I've heard this year.
Lloyd was a Royal thief! sending me CDs he said were new and I do forensic DNA and
saw scuff marks where it had been played in a CD player and he thought I was stupid?
I'm laughing myself silly about this idiot out of business finally. 

well, if you mistrusted him so much that you had to do forensic dna on the discs, why did you do business with him at all? did you tell him that the discs had been played? is it possible that someone sold them to him as new and he trusted them?
lloyd barde is as fine gentleman as i have ever met and a good friend. he never steered me wrong and i wish him nothing but success in his future endeavors!
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2009, 10:51:52 PM »
You're the idiot if you had to do DNA testing on discs to tell if they were used or not! In Lloyd's defense, a lot of the imports were never shrinkwrapped and when they made it to the US they weren't always perfect.  Also I have opened plenty of sealed CD's only to find the disc had a big nasty scratch on it.  It's all relative. 

kosmischemyke

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 03:55:45 PM »
[post edited by Forum Moderator due to violation of member terms -- you can complain here, but you can't slander]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:36:00 PM by mgriffin »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 07:17:25 PM »
If I were Lloyd I would BAN anyone from buying from me who WHINED ABOUT MINUTIA like a little boy who never got enough love from mommy. Wahhhh!

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 03:09:08 PM »
how about editing his other post wherein he calls lloyd a royal thief?
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2009, 12:00:05 AM »
I have now gone over all my Backroads purchases over the last 15 years with an extensive laser carbon dating system and conclude they were all previously played before I bought them as "new."  But first I must send them to the DNA lab to confirm the results. ;-)

LLoyd

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2009, 11:08:34 AM »
enough about all this!!  I have provided "well beyond" excellent customer service from day 1 (March 1981) until the graceful passing of Backroads Music (July 31, 2008).  Since then, for the past 12 months, I have been preparing to launch my own "LLoyd Barde Productions".  As of yesterday that became official with the appearance of my new web site, which I am very proud of.  Please visit:  www.lloydbarde.com.  CD sales continue, and I welcome requests or want lists, even for titles not shown on the extensive list that can be easily downloaded from the CD Shop page.  Additionally, there are over 200 reviews of featured titles.  However, as is obvious, CD sales are not my only interest, as I offer many services for artists and labels, writing, DJ services and even more.  So browse a bit, lemme know what you think, and how I may be of service in expanding your musical horizons!! --  Lloyd  (415.924.4848 / lloyd@well.com / www.lloydbarde.com)