Author Topic: Significant/Groundbreaking ambient Lp's  (Read 3109 times)

kajmanen

• View Profile
Significant/Groundbreaking ambient Lp's
« on: October 21, 2018, 01:13:49 AM »
I had this in my mind for awhile, even though I have enjoyed many ambient albums from the 2000's/2010's and up until now but is anyone else in agreement that there are a very small number of albums like Substrata (even disc 2 has really pecuilar and strong ambient tracks) 76:14 for example from the last 10-15 years?

Im talking ambient albums where the tracks also does have a strong charachter to them, like for example
the ticking beat of the clock in 14:31. I dont know how to describe it. These albums are almost like "pop" ambient. Not that they sound like popmusic, but the tracks are just standing strong on their own with alot of charachter and recognisability to them.

Surely Steve Roach and other similar "space-ambient" artists (sorry steve roach fans) has ever made an album with tracks that are almost like songs but still wrapped in an ambient package?

Personally I find these albums to be far and few between. Why is that ? Some ambient albums I can think about that uses similar approach is from Carbon Based Lifeforms, Circular, Irezumi, Secede, Pjusk,Solar Fields ambient works on top of my head but these still doesnt manage expand their sounds and give it as much colour and variety as in the above mentioned.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 01:34:33 AM by kajmanen »

Bert/SonicImmersion.org

• View Profile
    • SonicImmersion.org
Re: Significant/Groundbreaking ambient Lp's
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 02:58:25 AM »
Interesting topic. I feel this also applies to some work of Altus, Boreal Taiga and Rudy Adrian along Pascal Savy's "The Silent Watcher"...
Great stuff to immerse into or travel to worlds beyond.

kajmanen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 10:24:17 AM »
Interesting topic. I feel this also applies to some work of Altus, Boreal Taiga and Rudy Adrian along Pascal Savy's "The Silent Watcher"...
Great stuff to immerse into or travel to worlds beyond.

The Silent Watcher album is based on field recordings but somehow its less accessible and more "experimental" in nature than Substrata hence why it hasnt/shouldnt get as much recognition?

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 03:51:50 PM »
Gas (Gas)  ------ brilliant. Timeless.  8)  and Marcus Guntner: In Moll.

also, of course:  Substrata, and Köner's minimalist works.

Terry Riley: A Rainbow in Curved Air

Mathias Grassow: things like The Fragrance of Eternal Roses

Stars of the Lid.
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

kajmanen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 10:44:30 AM »
Aphex Twin (Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2) - Thomas Köner (Aubrite) - Gas (Gas)

Thats barely ambient to me.