Author Topic: Techno Music  (Read 15297 times)

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
Re: Techno Music
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 11:01:29 AM »
Joseph, that Byetone is great MaschineFunk – more fleshy and visceral than the older-style Raster robot music. But I think, given your robot-wariness, you may find the most appealing R-N album to be Automne Fold by Kangding Ray, which smuggles in more melody and textural variation, while still being recognisably a Raster man's vibrations.

Saw him live 3 weeks ago at a festival were i also played. Great Tunes Live.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 09:29:53 PM »
A while back I stumbled across an interesting techno guy by the name of Cursor Miner
I downloaded a couple songs, the best one by far being a tune called Fructal Break, sort of a stop & go, cut and paste scrappy tune that really rocks!  Sounds like Jason Corder aka Off The Sky if he decided to go turntabling..  Here's a clip of the song (warning:  it's set to a Steven Seagal montage, so watch at your own risk), followed by a more conventional Kraftwerkian clip.

Also a great find was the french techno group Justice, and their album Cross.  Definitely more mainstream (now they have rappers sampling them), sort of in the vein of early Daft Punk's sound, but a little grimier with the sampling and producing.   I found out about them from a car commercial here in the states, the song being Genesis: 

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:33:03 PM by judd stephens »

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 09:46:55 PM »
I have never checked out bookmat in a serious way. And now, through Joe recommending a Ben Frost album on there, I ended up in the bestseller section, and what should I find but an archive album of B12 music http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=173940. This was one of my favorite Warp acts, but I sold the albums of theirs I had, and have not heard them for years. Something about the sound just gets me all nostalgic and feeling the magic sci-fi vibe. And I'm glad to be talking about this in the Techno section, especially for B12, because the IDM name is probably one of the most unfortunate genre tags to ever be slapped on a group of bands. Even New Age is cooler. Alan mentioned the dilapidated state of the term IDM, and I would like to second that, and welcome back in the simple and big tent moniker which heads this thread. I like Electronica as a term as well, but Techno has something clean and retro about it, and seems to suggest something of the more manly and strong electro of ages past, as opposed to the sometimes effete laptop emo action of recent age.

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 11:07:12 AM »
I've been a big fan of B12 since Electrosoma, which, in large part, turned me on to techno in the first place.  I was so psyched to see those old and impossible to find B12 12" releases FINALLY making it to CD, and have dutifully picked up each volume.  Don't have vol. 6 yet, but vol. 5 contains the incredible Redcell/Stasis CD—an absolute landmark of a release.  My only complaint about the series is that they made each volume a double-disc, but few individual discs have more than thirty minutes of material on each.

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 12:06:25 AM »
One of the most notable transitions from techno(jungle, actually) to techno-avant-jazz for me always has been Spring Heel Jack. He reinvented himself in a spectacular way.
In general, it seems that pure techno has mutated into various niche sub-genres.

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 05:59:09 AM »
Some of my favorite techno. I think of techno as the Detroit stuff or stuff like what labels such as Tresor were putting out in the 90s.

Carl Craig: more songs about food (one of the best techno "albums" period), landcrusing (original version)

Model 500: classics, deep space

Joey Beltram: places, classics

Robert Hood: internal empire (the recent Fabric mix cd is well worth hearing also)

Basic Channel: all the 12"s, or the two cd comps.

Jeff Mills: live at the liquid room; art of connecting; waveform vol.3, etc.

Derrick May: innovator

Surgeon: force and form (maybe the last truly great techno "album" made)

Drexciya: neptune's lair

Maurizio: s/t cd

Aril Brikha: deepature in time

Kenny Larkin: metaphor

Kosmic Messenger: collected works

I also enjoyed a lot of the Kompakt type stuff before that sort of thing got too slick and predictable. Out of that, this is what I'd recommend:

SASCHA FUNKE: all 3 12"s on kompakt

DETTINGER: both cds, all the 12"s

JURGEN PAAPE: everything

BIONAUT: everything

Other than that, Richard James made a couple of very good techno albums in the early 90s

APHEX TWIN: s.a.w. 85-92

POLYGON WINDOW: surfing on sine waves

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 11:15:34 AM »
Speedy J - A Shocking Hobby

for the more 'industrial' side of techno
with some of the loudest, most agressive and awesome beats and noises you'll ever hear (but still listenable)
I almost couldn't believe my ears when I heard the beats on 'Actor Nine'

a perfect counterweight for all the ambient :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:33:23 AM by DeepR »