Author Topic: Techno Music  (Read 10111 times)

judd stephens

• View Profile
Techno Music
« on: December 14, 2007, 10:09:33 PM »
The Ron Boots thread makes me want to post something long-desired.  Some people were dusting off (no pun intended) their chemical brothers music in the now playing thread recently.  Even though a lot of people thought they sold out once they ditched the big-beat format in their later years,  I happen to have very fond memories of 1999's Surrender, and listened to it a couple days ago.  It still sounds great from beginning to end- love the lead singer of Mazzy Star contributing on that hazy piece.  Their subsequent albums got progressively less interesting although there are some real gems of jams to be found. Daft Punk's Discovery is another really neat album.  The sampling in that is as original to me as The Dust Brothers' work on The Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique

Is this genre dead?  Anybody still enjoy this type of music and have some relevant recommendations?   I mean, I guess it can be ambient-techno or lounge, but the mid to high energy stuff (basement jaxx, aforementioned artists, etc.), you know, that vein would be especially appreciated.  Thank you 8) 

jdh

• View Profile
Re: Techno Music
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 10:58:04 PM »
Judd,

This genre played itself out years ago in the USA/Canada but still big in Europe.
Check out Underworld(band),Kompakt(label)Total series,Traum,Scape,Echospace(best release I heard this year in the BC Techno/Dub thing)Forced Exposure has many great titles.

sio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 05:15:03 AM »
I would also definitely recommend "The Coldest Season" by Deepchord and Echospace as the highlight of 2007 in the more Techno/Dub genre.

Undershadow

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 08:58:33 AM »
Yep, Rod Modell (and associates) has been churning out release after release of great post-BC/CR dub techno this year. It would be getting hard to keep up, but for most of it being on vinyl, and, though I do have a turntable in operational mode, I hardly buy any new vinyl these days. "The Coldest Season" is one of the few of these releases (under a number of monikers: Deepchord = Modell+von Schommer / Echospace=Modell+Hitchell [aka Soultek] / CV313 = Modell solo) available on CD.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 09:03:10 AM »
Answering Judd's original post, and in a sense just repeating the other answers, the mainstream "techno" genre is sort of played out (though it still has far more followers than our little ambient niche), but there are plenty of offshoots that are thriving, like techno off in more minimal or glitch or dub kinda flavors.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 11:16:16 AM »
larry kucharz released some interesting techno in the 90's but i am not a big fan of the style.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 09:16:24 PM »
This'll keep me busy.  I thank you all.

g.@.b.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 09:33:57 PM »
I'd mention The Hive Project's mid-range techno release, Conversations with the Queen (The Hive Project is Jeremy Rice and our own Anthony Paul Kerby), which I've been enjoying for the last several years, and have used, in IDM mixes, here and here.

More info + samples: http://www.databloem.com/z_hiveproject.htm

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 09:56:06 PM »
I recommend Timeshard and Witchman; two of my faves from the era.  A bit more organic and stripped-down than the big-beat stuff, but all worth a listen.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

MarkJohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 10:01:35 PM »
I recommend Trentmoller's 'The Last Resort', the new Burial album called 'Untrue', and Lusine ISL's 'Language Barrier' as good representatives of what is happening in electronic music today.  None of it is big beat, but those days are, sadly or not, over.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 07:01:02 AM »
I recommend Timeshard and Witchman; two of my faves from the era.  A bit more organic and stripped-down than the big-beat stuff, but all worth a listen.
oops - forghot about timeshard. i recommend hunab ku.
i also forgot banco de gaia - some very nice stuff, too.
i know there are others i have forgotten but i might not have thought of them as techno.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Undershadow

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 09:35:26 AM »
Ontayso“Procesamiento Digital Uno” and “Procesamiento Digital Dos” (U-cover Transparente)

Ontayso are an under-the-radar Belgian duo (who incidentally run the frighteningly prolific U-cover label) purveying a more abstract ambient take on ambient-dub-techno. This brace of albums follows on the heels stylistically of their Silentes release, “Magical Tone Tricks”, a label which a few forum-ites will be familiar with. As with that collection, though it’s recognizably their own soundpool the listener swims in, the springboard is detectable as one wrought in Berlin, almost inevitably through Chain Reaction out of Basic Channel. On “PDU”, they sparsely layer lightly fuzzed drawn-out gauzes of grainy attenuated ambience over insistent rhythmicities – primarily pulses, chewing over the dub, spitting out the techno, retaining only kickdrum thrum, renouncing the alternate-beat snareshot or hi-hat imperatives of mainstream mnml.  “PD2” is a continuation of their inquiry into the meeting point of dark-hued atmospheres and fractured dub tech-noir, though this outing is more ambiently inclined overall than the first instalment. A beyond midnight subterranean scenario is populated by metallic-edged stabs, drones and pulses conjuring up a sonography ghosted through by something resembling the spectral spirit of early Vladislav Delay. A duo for BChannel-ophiles and CReaction-ites to explore.

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 01:57:17 PM »
Techno music might've had itself played out, but on a good day I do enjoy the following:
1. Gas
2. Monolake
3. Fluxion
4. Vladslav Delay/Luomo
5. Scorn
6. And of course, the great Underworld

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 08:40:33 AM »
I'll agree with earlier posts that "techno" enjoyed a brief stint as poster child for electronic music in some magazines - and then it faded back dow to the dedicated niche following that it's enjoyed for years.   When I think of techno I think of Derrick May, Drexciya, Tresor label, Richie Hawtin, Speedy J, and all the fun dubby goodness that's been mentioned already from the Basic Channel, Chain Reaction labels and the more recent Deepchord and Echospace stuff currently.    In fact - the Basic Channel CD comp is playing at my desk here at work right now...

I kind of get all the IDM, dnb, techno, and just generally electronic stuff all blurred in my head anyway - they all sort of push and pull each other anyway.   The "big beat" stuff like Chemical Brothers - yeah - Surrender - there are some brilliant tracks on that one.  I stopped buying after that (but I pretty much cut waaaay back on any cd buys after that).

Crystal Method - "Vegas" is a brilliant album - and there are moments from Tweekend and Legions of Boom that are very nice.   

Underworld - there isn't much I don't like from them - always good -even the post-Emmerson stuff - though I tend to like the dubnobass through beaucoup fish stuff best.

IDM-land... definitely a fan of a lot of the 90's era Warp and Warp-like stuff - Two Lone Swordsmen, Autechre, Richard H. Kirk, The Black Dog / Plaid, etc. etc. etc..

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Gurdonark

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 04:12:46 AM »
I think there's a lot of good techno out there. I like the music on Spain's Antiritmo label, and in particular the artist Dosem.

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 11:49:22 PM »
Time to resurrect the techno thread that was relegated so quickly to darkness. Long summer nights bring out the techno starved fool in all of us. Maybe. One of the techno style musicks that I dig the most at this time is the collaboration between Vidna Obmana and Klinik. Those two albums, Gluttony, and Greed, are resplendant examples of what pounding psychedelic techno can be. Some time back, I was unsure what people's response was to these two works, but I find them eminently worthy of repeated listen. They just build up in such a potent and rewarding way.

Another kind of techno release I have been delving into is Glider's The Sight Below. It has that signature throbbing techno beat on most of the songs, overlaid with crooning looped or echoing guitar. Not sure if I like it, I am starting to feel after the most recent listen that I don't. Curious to know if anyone else is listening to this.

Another gem on the techno front is Yagya's Rigning, which after the first couple of plays reveals itself to be completely awesome, and is due for some more plays soon. Am I right in still calling this techno? or is that uncool?

Undershadow

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 12:21:40 AM »
Yep. I'm happy to call it 'Techno' - works ok as a shorthand. It's been my next-fave genre to Ambient for the last few years... since 'IDM' went... kind of limp, to the point where, when solicited for a Top 10 of 2008, I submitted two

More details here (scroll down for the Techno 10)

As well as the two Joseph mentions (Glider is the album title, btw, while The Sight Below is the name ambient/neo-classical exponent, Rafael Anton Irisarra, has chosen under which to put out more techno-inflected work), I've also been enjoying some of the super-minimal mysterious Berlin-type stuff, like Pom Pom or The Hauntologists, for example: clip

And any of you who like the concept of their techno base being sprayed with BoC-style woozy/warbly keyboards and a sort of dreampop shoegaze-glaze, keep an eye out for a guy called (Jesse) Somfay, who has an album called A Catch in the Voice just out: http://cdbaby.com/cd/somfay2

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 04:56:30 AM by Undershadow »

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 02:03:36 AM »
FAX also got nice ambient-techno stuff, I recommend Move D & Namlook - Wired

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 09:49:52 AM »
Listened to Secede's Vega Libre yesterday. Anyone and everyone who loves techno/electronica should seriously check it out. This album is a wonder world. Killer cover art too. Death of a Typographer is catching my eye, though I am weary of Raster-Noton's robotic pose.

On the strength of your top ten, Alan, I will give Glider a few more studied listens...

Undershadow

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 10:50:16 AM »
Joseph, that Byetone is great MaschineFunk – more fleshy and visceral than the older-style Raster robot music. But I think, given your robot-wariness, you may find the most appealing R-N album to be Automne Fold by Kangding Ray, which smuggles in more melody and textural variation, while still being recognisably a Raster man's vibrations.