MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Independent Music Reviews

August 2008 issue of Electroambient Space

(1/3) > >>

electroambientspace:
Hi everybody.  The August issue of EAS is now online.  This month's interview is with Hypnos very own Mike Griffin!   The reviews page features several Hypnos titles, the 3 latest RMI CDs, and more.  Enjoy.

deepspace:
Great article- really enjoyed it.  I'm looking at Soundswim.com and I think it's a really good idea.  I find that I download much more than purchasing physical cds, so I can't wait to start buy some titles from this site.  A question:  Will it be purely Hypnos and Binary?  or will it be similar to the Hypnos shop?

Who here has heard of emusic.com and what are your thoughts on it?  It has a big ambient/electronic section, and I've personally a sold a lot of cds through it.  I would say probably about 3 times more than physical cds. 

mgriffin:
Thanks very much for the opportunity of the interview, Phil.  I enjoyed the opportunity, and found the questions actually made me think about some things, instead of just spouting the usual oft-repeated responses.

As always, whether I've done an interview with Phil, or whether reviews of Hypnos CDs appear, I'd urge everyone following this sort of music to check Phil's monthly EAS updates.

mgriffin:

--- Quote from: deepspace on August 03, 2008, 10:22:08 PM ---Great article- really enjoyed it.  I'm looking at Soundswim.com and I think it's a really good idea.  I find that I download much more than purchasing physical cds, so I can't wait to start buy some titles from this site.  A question:  Will it be purely Hypnos and Binary?  or will it be similar to the Hypnos shop?

Who here has heard of emusic.com and what are your thoughts on it?  It has a big ambient/electronic section, and I've personally a sold a lot of cds through it.  I would say probably about 3 times more than physical cds. 

--- End quote ---

Glad you enjoyed the interview, Mirko.  Ironically, Phil's interview with you from June is where I first recall seeing Deepspace mentioned.

As for your questions...

At first we will start up www.soundswim.com as purely a download-only site, with only Hypnos (and Binary and HSS) releases available.  We will continue running the Hypnos Online Store in parallel, for the sale of CDs.  Then we will start selling CDs as well as downloads through Soundswim, and eventually we will add more and more non-Hypnos CDs to the SoundSwim store, and eventually that will replace the Hypnos Online Store.  Then the Hypnos web site will continue but it won't have a store -- the SoundSwim store will be our CD store as well as our download store.

Whether we will sell non-Hypnos downloads, I don't know.  Maybe so, I guess we'll see how much administrative work it would be.

I've heard that emusic.com is a pretty popular outlet for a lot of people and I've been meaning to check it out, but it's sort of hard to get much of a sense of how it works without actually signing up.

deepspace:
Emusic is rather brilliant.  Some are put off by the subscription model.  But once you get past that (and I know that's the quantum leap that most companies desire), it opens up so much music that you just wouldn't have heard otherwise.  I get the 50 song download a month, for $15.  If your maths is better than mine, you can probably work out how much one track is.  Basically it's 5 albums for the price of one.  You can imagine....single track ambient albums are very easy to purchase.

Artists might be put off by this, the fact that you get far less than a normal sale, and this might be why some artists don't use it.  But the pay off is that listeners are much braver and experimental in their music choices-  and Ambient music is huge on emusic.  I've sold much more through emusic than anywhere else, and I make the bulk of my music income through there.  Itunes makes up a much smaller percentage- even less than physical cds.

Each artist page has recommendations (by listeners) that link together genres in a completely brilliant way.  Imagine, you have an unknown ambient album that you're listening to- In itunes, that's it.  That's the end.  There's no information.  There are no more links from it to anywhere else.  No depth.

In emusic, it's similar to last.fm, you have similar artists, and recommendations, so some ambient listener (who may have been listening for years and is very experienced in terms of the important artists in the genre etc) can place you right in the middle of the genre and lead you around to other albums, allowing you to discover the otherwise hidden gems.  So imagine some new listener happening onto a recommendation page by someone from this forum, (Bill comes to mind)....They will soon get an amazing induction into the field. 

Granted, it doesn't have the quality assurance of a dedicated label site, like the Hypnos store for example, where you feel you are listening to the best in the genre, and it's been hand-selected.  There are some certainly some clunkers on emusic, but it's still a great way to soak up, pay for music, and never feel like it's draining your back pocket.  I know that feeling all too well, as I'm sure other rabid music collectors will.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version