Author Topic: Electronica Scores for Movies  (Read 70 times)

tdh12

• View Profile
Electronica Scores for Movies
« on: March 15, 2019, 06:01:50 AM »
There have been some great electronic/ambient scores for films lately. I don't know if this is a new trend but it feels like it. Recently got the soundtrack for the original Tron (1982) by Wendy Carlos, and along with Edgar Rothermich's recent re-recording of the incomparable Blade Runner score by Vangelis, it's got me thinking about electronic beauty and weirdness in more recent films. For some of these films, the music is an inseparable part of the presentation; some may lack traditional narrative storylines in favor of pure visual expression, and sometimes it works...but I'm enjoying to the extreme most of these movies because of my deep love of electronics in music.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
Re: Electronica Scores for Movies
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 06:18:01 AM »
Agree. My wife watches a lot of Netflix, and occasionally she'll be watching a new movie or TV series and the soundtrack will catch my ear and pull me in--at least until the music ends. It has become a bit of a joke around the house.

Love it or hate it: I think shows like Stranger Things and the new Bandersnatch episode for Black Mirror (featuring Tangerine Dream) have made non-electronic music fans more aware of and appreciative of electronic music, even the kind that has a distinctive "old school" quality to it.