Author Topic: Social media for independent musicians ?  (Read 312 times)

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Social media for independent musicians ?
« on: July 07, 2019, 06:53:14 AM »
Social media for independent musicians ? Maybe of interest to some folk here and perhaps even to the people who just post here to promote their projects :)

Some thoughts on the above topic:

' Been mulling over this recently and my thoughts are, for an independent, ambient musician such as myself (i.e. not in any kind of major league !), I donít really see the value of spending the time on social media to try to Ďraise my profileí. I should say Iím speaking here as an individual artist Ė I canít speak for bands and the like...'

Full post here:

https://igneousflame.wordpress.com/2019/07/07/social-media-for-independent-musicians/

stargazer

• View Profile
Re: Social media for independent musicians ?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 02:32:13 PM »
I see it very similar, Pete. The social media are good for interaction and communication, a global exchange of artists and fans. But to raise a profile, they do not serve an independent artist.

Promotion works via radio, podcasts, features, reviews, labels, forums, platforms (like Bandcamp), collaborations with well-known artists etc. And without making anything special from the heart, you won't stay long on the market.
Because only good, timeless, unique music is supported in independent music. At least I feel that way when I support music from others.

Earlier (before the social media) I bought records in the store. Today I sometimes buy digital music on Bandcamp (a virtual store with a more support character).
Music comes from the heart, goes through the heart, back into the heart.

Thanks to the support of my fans, I was able to do my CD productions and repair hardware. Of course, you become better known through interaction through the social medium of the Internet, but also more grateful.
Because in the sheer mass of independent musicians, to be heard at all, it's a matter of luck.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 07:09:57 AM »
Hi Jana,
Interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

I should say I wrote that blog as a something of a reaction as to reading how 'essential' social media promotion was considered to be for an artist and that you would be remiss by not doing it 'properly' and I didn't think that is the case (well, not for me anyway)

Look at the artists who post here only about their projects and the general lack of response they get, from treating the forum as another opportunity to solely self promote.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 11:19:00 AM »
Good points, both of you.

I think the true challenge is to define the goal. If one is interested in producing music that one personally finds rewarding and fulfilling, and then sharing that music in a way that makes it accessible to like-minded others, then there isn't much of a point in playing the social media game. It is fairly easy these days to release something on, for example, Bandcamp, tell a few friends, and carry on.

If one's goal is to get as many fans, plays, sales as possible, however, I suspect that playing the social media game is unavoidable. I'm skeptical that an independent artist can "make it" without working the social media angle as hard as the studio. (I agree with Jana that the music itself, of course, needs to be good.) The simple truth is that, the more people who are aware of your work, the more likely you are to sell it.

Speaking for myself: I'm an introvert and don't like social media. I enjoy the Hypnos Forums, of course, and have visited this place off-and-on since 2001 or so. But forums don't feel like social media to me, maybe because I'm older and they pre-date modern social media. Facebook doesn't really appeal to me. I don't bother with Instagram, etc. I just don't feel like myself when I'm posting to promote rather than posting to contribute (e.g., discussing things here, mentioning new releases I like). The good news is that there are mechanisms for introverted artists to reach potential fans these days without them having to invest in a social media presence.

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 02:56:01 PM »
I should say I wrote that blog as a something of a reaction as to reading how 'essential' social media promotion was considered to be for an artist and that you would be remiss by not doing it 'properly' and I didn't think that is the case (well, not for me anyway)

Completely understandable. Real exchange over the Internet has always been a rarity. I remember Soundcloud when people commented on my track with "I like your sounds. Please listen to my track".
They did not understand honest interaction. Social media today is a term that is very negative. True social media is interaction, give and take, authenticity.

I'm skeptical that an independent artist can "make it" without working the social media angle as hard as the studio.

The days of glory and fame are over anyways. Everyone is making music. We open our souls to the world and simply hope for the best :)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 06:57:45 PM »
Yes. In the 90s you could sell a run of 1,000 CDs (or at least half of them).
Now everyone and his/her dog has inexpensive means of making and putting out some decent music.
The market is flooded. Things have changed. You might stand out for 5 minutes here and there.

www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 02:27:56 AM »
I'm of the view that you get back what you put into (in this case) musical projects and I wonder about the longevity of a lot of projects out there, when (as APK said) pretty much everyone can / is releasing stuff.
Also, I take a more fatalistic view on things.

I remember the 'glory days' here with people's CD releases, all very different now. I see airplay as more the focus nowadays and I include streaming in that and going back to my original point, I have seen that increase for me - without doing any (or very little) social media networking.

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 11:12:40 AM »
I'm of the view that you get back what you put into (in this case) musical projects

Very true, as if you hear an echo from your own passionate music. Thatís the best 😊