Author Topic: Electric Gongs  (Read 4524 times)

hdibrell

• View Profile
Electric Gongs
« on: August 11, 2008, 01:11:30 PM »
This is a really interesting site http://ericarcher.net/devices/electric-gongs/ where Eric Archer discusses his electric gong project. It's currently on display at the Austin Children's Museum (Austin, Texas) and is a hands on instrument. I think I'll drive up there next week and try it out. It's only about an hour drive from here.    Harry
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: Electric Gongs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 08:34:05 PM »
Very interesting - but will they rival electric cowbells?
http://www.radmonkeycowbells.com/

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 08:59:14 PM »
Hey, that's very cool!  Wish I could see it.  Harry, if like those sounds, you should also check out the sound sculpture music of Robert Rutman and Harry Bertoia.

Forrest

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 09:08:55 PM »
Hey, that's very cool!  Wish I could see it.  Harry, if like those sounds, you should also check out the sound sculpture music of Robert Rutman and Harry Bertoia.

Forrest
Hi Forrest,  I will check those artists out. It's great that you responded to this thread because I was doing a search on gongs after listening to your release, "Gongland" when I found this site. Thanks,   Harry

solyaris

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 02:49:02 AM »
This is a really interesting site http://ericarcher.net/devices/electric-gongs/ where Eric Archer discusses his electric gong project. It's currently on display at the Austin Children's Museum (Austin, Texas) and is a hands on instrument. I think I'll drive up there next week and try it out. It's only about an hour drive from here.    Harry

how are you Harry!

Me too I love gong sounds; I recently discovered Sheila Whittaker that plays continuum gong drones she call "Cosmic Ocean of Sound", see: http://www.myspace.com/healingsound 

Premising that I enjoyed so much Eric Archer's device-projects (reading his web site),

I think the electric gong is a beatiful idea to show childrens some "different" sounds we have in Earth a part digital noises ;-)

What I do not love so much ... is just that touchscreen interface showing "all available notes" ... and guides users to consonant pitch relationships with a network of white lines... :(

That's ... in my particular perspective ... is a bit a paradox: Gongs and al metallic resonances objects are interesting because they produce vibrations in the frequency spectrum continuum ... creating these beatiful "out-of-tune" (in respect of equal temperament) drones,

so on one hand, is great that a museum show the possibilities of gongs;
on the other hand, is wrong the emphasis on the "computer control" ....

isn't much better for a children (and for an adult musician more) hit the gongs directly with mallets, with ears 20 cms from the gong ? :)

The point is that I'm against the ideology of "control" so much common nowadays in our societies...
An this concept come also in music making .. where electronic music instruments are so powerful on control the sound parameters ... and often so faint on sound sources ...

Gongs are probably the "symbol" of the out-of-control sound devices (in terms of equal temperament music); so I'm a bit perplex in front of a project that show how to play Gershwin’s Summertime on 22″ electric gong ... :(

What do you think about ? ;-)

Anyway thanks for posting!
giorgio

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 08:30:27 AM »
I agree with you , Giorgio, about the interface. It seems a little cheezy. I haven't gone up to see it yet, but I'll let you know once I have. The idea of pointing the kids to which notes sound best together is wrong as well. Knowing kids, I'm sure some of them experiment with the "wrong" notes. I know I will! There are supposed to be some other hands-on displays that show different ways of making music. It should be an interesting trip. I'm meeting a friend of mine who also plays music to go to the exhibit. We should be quite a sight. Two well over 50 year olds playing around in a children's museum!  ;D      Harry

solyaris

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 09:25:52 AM »
I agree with you , Giorgio, about the interface. It seems a little cheezy. I haven't gone up to see it yet, but I'll let you know once I have. The idea of pointing the kids to which notes sound best together is wrong as well. Knowing kids, I'm sure some of them experiment with the "wrong" notes. I know I will! There are supposed to be some other hands-on displays that show different ways of making music. It should be an interesting trip. I'm meeting a friend of mine who also plays music to go to the exhibit. We should be quite a sight. Two well over 50 year olds playing around in a children's museum!  ;D      Harry

yeah! I want to see on youtube a video showing Harry playing hard-dissonances on this gong-machine...

initailly with the standard "technological" interface...
but with the final explosive performance: where you will pull out a mallet (hidden under the jacket as a gun...), going near the gongs and show kids HOW TO! play these stuff:

whit a gong "normal" mallet!!! heresy ... and kids real happy! :)

giorgio
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:27:34 AM by solyaris »