MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Other Ambient (and related) Music

Bandcamp subscriptions - thoughts ?

(1/3) > >>

petekelly:
Curious to ask people's thoughts on Bandcamp subscriptions.

Noticed that Steve Roach has a pretty active subscription thing going.
I'm not sure how this works regarding streaming / how is it different to Spotify etc ? One thought that did cross my mind is would the artist feel compelled to constantly release new material so the subscribers feel they are getting their 'value' from it ?

einstein36:

--- Quote from: petekelly on January 07, 2020, 04:20:00 AM ---Curious to ask people's thoughts on Bandcamp subscriptions.

Noticed that Steve Roach has a pretty active subscription thing going.
I'm not sure how this works regarding streaming / how is it different to Spotify etc ? One thought that did cross my mind is would the artist feel compelled to constantly release new material so the subscribers getting their 'value' from it ?

--- End quote ---

unfortunately yes, when you enable the monthly subscription on bandcamp, I do believe that your fans are wanting some value out of paying a monthly fee to you to see new material, videos, etc.
We are already as users out there being bombarded with monthly fees anymore on services, etc. Your monthly music streaming apps, your monthly video services, etc..they all add up, so by adding another monthly fee someone has to pay, they are looking for a good value for their money..

petekelly:
Hi,
Yes, good points.

From an artistic perspective, I wonder how this need to create new work would be a natural part of what the artist does anyway, or would be be more of an 'undertaking' that they have committed themselves to ?

Sihou:
I will express my point of view as a listener since I am not a musician.

From my point of view, all kinds of subscriptions are a certain way of manipulating the location of the listener to the musician. In my opinion, there are not a small number of examples when a musician publishes a huge number of albums exploiting the same idea that once brought results in the form of a certain popularity. It is not possible to constantly produce something attractive without certain pauses and painstaking work.

The musicianís obligations when subscribing are not fulfilled from the heart. Do you need such a commitment? Or is it more important for you to get some benefit?

chris23:
As a listener, I'm not interested in the subscription model. As Darren said, we subscribe to a lot of things already. I don't want one more thing in my life being deducted from my paycheck.

I'm happy to buy music in an exchange format: my money in exchange for a specific album. I think that is a fair way to support artists. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version