Author Topic: Bandcamp subscriptions - thoughts ?  (Read 686 times)

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Bandcamp subscriptions - thoughts ?
« on: January 07, 2020, 04:20:00 AM »
Curious to ask people's thoughts on Bandcamp subscriptions.

Noticed that Steve Roach has a pretty active subscription thing going.
I'm not sure how this works regarding streaming / how is it different to Spotify etc ? One thought that did cross my mind is would the artist feel compelled to constantly release new material so the subscribers feel they are getting their 'value' from it ?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:55:55 AM by petekelly »

einstein36

• View Profile
Re: Bandcamp subscriptions - thoughts ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 07:07:46 AM »
Curious to ask people's thoughts on Bandcamp subscriptions.

Noticed that Steve Roach has a pretty active subscription thing going.
I'm not sure how this works regarding streaming / how is it different to Spotify etc ? One thought that did cross my mind is would the artist feel compelled to constantly release new material so the subscribers getting their 'value' from it ?

unfortunately yes, when you enable the monthly subscription on bandcamp, I do believe that your fans are wanting some value out of paying a monthly fee to you to see new material, videos, etc.
We are already as users out there being bombarded with monthly fees anymore on services, etc. Your monthly music streaming apps, your monthly video services, etc..they all add up, so by adding another monthly fee someone has to pay, they are looking for a good value for their money..
Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 07:58:34 AM »
Hi,
Yes, good points.

From an artistic perspective, I wonder how this need to create new work would be a natural part of what the artist does anyway, or would be be more of an 'undertaking' that they have committed themselves to ?

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 08:34:32 AM »
Hi Pete,

I think that as an artist you oblige to the money in the very end. No one can deliver music on demand monthly without loosing inspiration and quality. I think this is also the case when it is a natural process for an artist to do lots of live work or collecting old mixdowns. It is up to an artist to serve his own ideal.

I also think that a subscription can have a supportive character. What I find difficult is the limitation of music for subscribers only. Also I think currently subscription is only possible via credit card.

Sihou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 09:09:50 AM »
I will express my point of view as a listener since I am not a musician.

From my point of view, all kinds of subscriptions are a certain way of manipulating the location of the listener to the musician. In my opinion, there are not a small number of examples when a musician publishes a huge number of albums exploiting the same idea that once brought results in the form of a certain popularity. It is not possible to constantly produce something attractive without certain pauses and painstaking work.

The musicianís obligations when subscribing are not fulfilled from the heart. Do you need such a commitment? Or is it more important for you to get some benefit?

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 03:01:52 PM »
As a listener, I'm not interested in the subscription model. As Darren said, we subscribe to a lot of things already. I don't want one more thing in my life being deducted from my paycheck.

I'm happy to buy music in an exchange format: my money in exchange for a specific album. I think that is a fair way to support artists. 

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 06:41:38 PM »
I agree with everyone else here. I'm not a fan of it from either a musician or listener standpoint.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 06:13:23 AM »
Interesting responses, thanks.

I was curious about this, but thinking it over (from an artist's point of view) I personally wouldn't be comfortable with such a model - the obligation to create new work other than for the very reason of wanting to create it, wouldn't sit well with me.

No disrespect to anyone who is doing it though, I just don't have the interest in really pushing the promo / marketing side of things.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 06:29:27 AM by petekelly »

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 03:36:13 PM »
Celer does it. He is already ridiculously prolific to begin with so it's probably a good deal if you're really into his music. Though I'm still not a fan of that move, it makes more sense for someone like him than Steve Roach.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 11:48:59 PM »
I think that Steve is tapping into his archives of alternate versions, unreleased tracks and live stuff as well as fresh things. He is so uber prolific that I think he can make this work.

My problem is that I can hardly make time to give good listens to all his regular releases, let alone all these monthly releases too. Wow!

Sihou

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 10:36:45 AM »
Guys, I do not pretend to the ultimate truth and this is just my humble opinion, but of all the enormously fruitful musicians to some extent perform ambient music, I know only two people who are in constant search, do not repeat and experiment. This is Jason Corder and Andreas Brandal. I donít know others.

I respect any kind of creativity if it does not contain any kind of aggression and if this creativity does not propagate perversions. But with all due respect, I have no desire to subscribe to anyone.

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 11:01:43 AM »
Hi Sihou,

I do not think that only two musicians stand out in the world for their creativity. There are many gifted musicians who progress and musically grow. Think about you also have a distinctive taste in music. You are therefore not able to set rules like no one is able to do so. Everything is relative to oneís own self !

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:15:37 AM by stargazer »

Sihou

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 11:59:10 AM »
Hi Sihou,

I do not think that only two musicians stand out in the world for their creativity. There are many gifted musicians who progress and musically grow. Think about you also have a distinctive taste in music. You are therefore not able to set rules like no one is able to do so. Everything is relative to oneís own self !

Hello!

Perhaps you misunderstood me. Of course there are a huge number of undeniably talented musicians. I donít know about many.
I spoke only about those musicians who publish many albums a year. And among such musicians, I know only two people who do not exploit the same ideas from year to year.
I am not burdened with certain limits, because I am only a listener, but not a musician. When a creative person first wants to earn money, then the creative component goes by the wayside.

By the way, I have a friend who listens to only a few ambient performers and this is enough for him. He is not looking for something new; he is not discovering new artists. In this context, I agree that for him the best option is to subscribe to his favorite musician.

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 12:31:06 PM »
Thanks for your clarification ! Good to know.
 :)

cvac

• View Profile
    • The Cratedigging Co-Op
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 08:03:25 AM »
I think artists and labels should do whatever suits them. If they want to offer subscriptions, that is fine.

RE: Steve Roach, I am sure he has a very large quantity of unreleased music he's made over the years, so quality of material would not be my concern. I would not want artists to feel pressured just to make material on demand. I think they'd be better off building up an archive of material over time and then releasing as they see fit to subscribers.

I personally do not do any monthly subscriptions because I do not like recurring billing charges. I would prefer to pay up front for the releases I want, or pay a bulk fee to buy a whole catalog at a reduced price. Most often I just buy the releases I want individually.

A couple years ago I tried out a Drip.FM subscription with an artist I like. This platform is no longer active but the subscription fee was around $40 a year or so which I paid up front to the artist. I thought it was a good value for fans because a large amount of unreleased music was offered to subscribers as well as the artist's complete back catalog at the time.