Author Topic: CD Distribution and Postal Costs  (Read 752 times)

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
CD Distribution and Postal Costs
« on: May 26, 2021, 12:05:55 PM »
Quick question for those of you shipping CDs:

I'm based in the US, and the cost of shipping CDs overseas is roughly 16$ per disc these days. That's a bit crazy, given that I only sell the CDs for $10.

Most of my sales come from Europe. I'm wondering if you know of a trustworthy source who can ship CDs out of the EU--someone I can simply pass along shipping info to when I have a Bandcamp sale.

If you have any experience with this--or know of some leads I might be able to follow--I hope you'll post.

I'm aware of a manufacturer, 8Merch, who can produce, store, and ship CDs out of Europe. But I don't like their discs as much as another manufacturer, Monotype Pressing, who does not provide this service.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Re: CD Distribution and Postal Costs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 07:27:22 AM »
Hi Chris,

I went through just the same experience and it was APK who suggested to me to get in touch with Dennis @ Databloem....https://databloem.com. I want to say Datableom is in Holland or maybe Belgium, cant recall.

About 4 years ago or so I sent some of my cd's which he put up on the Databloem website....they all sold. He sent me a PayPal of the balance minus the Databloem commission.....was a very good arrangement and it got the cd postage down to just a few euros more or less.

hope this helps.

"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 12:46:42 PM »
Great suggestion. Thanks!

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 08:32:39 PM »
Brief update for anyone who is interested in this issue:

I decided to try 8Merch for my most recent release. The CDs were fantastic, and I suspect that whatever reservations I had about other discs they pressed (see above) were grounded in design choices made by the labels/artists rather than the manufacturer per se. The discs came out exactly as I expected (no color surprises or blemishes).

They're holding on to about 50 CDs and shipping them out of their warehouse in Poland. It costs approximately 9 USD to ship/warehouse them, which is about half the cost of shipping from the US to overseas. That cost includes VAT and registered mail. The discs are also packaged carefully, in a cardboard box that is inside a standard plastic mailer.  Once an order is placed on Bandcamp, I simply copy-and-paste the buyer's mailing address into an 8Merch webpage and the rest is taken care of. Nothing to pack. No custom forms to complete. No trip to the USPS office.

5/5. I will definitely use them again.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 04:48:42 AM »
Thanks for the update.....good to know that 8Merch is out there and doing quality work. 

I have had issues with a cd production out of Taiwan.  I had to have all the digipack covers reprinted here in the US.  They tried 2 times to correct it but could not get the colors right.
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/