Currently listening, part 1

Started by mgriffin, December 06, 2007, 02:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Bieniowski

I think Saul's Fields is my favorite, but Outfolding is certainly a close second.  I'm surprised that Vast didn't enjoy the same amount of attention (as far as I could tell).  At first listen it didn't strike me as strongly, but in the ensuing time I find I listen to that one most frequently.

Today:

Steve Roach—Arc of Passion and Piece of Infinity (MC&SS disc 4)
I wish Steve had done an entire album like Arc's "Moment of Grace."  That analog ambient sound from his old stuff is so good.

Penguin Cafe Orchestra—Music from the Penguin Cafe
Sometimes I love or hate this one.  The self-titled is probably better, but this is their most sombre and pretty.  They can get a little too clever and jokey for my tastes.

Fennesz—Transition 7"
The new album ought to be great, if this is any indication of what it's going to be like.   8)

jkn

Zo Pilots is still my favorite with Outfolding nearly equal to it.    I loved Fields and Vast as well.  I think Vast needed more time to grow and unfold in my ears.   

I guess I'm a fan.   Yep, I'm a fan.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

APK

This morning

- Klaus Schulze: Drums 'n' Balls

one of my favourites.
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Bill Binkelman

Sanctum from Robert Scott Thompson. An evolution from his 2-disc release Acousma where the music is created from electroacoustic sound sources, some "real" musical in nature (chorals, gongs, percussion) and others not (water in a shower drain in a hotel in Rome, sounds made from styrofoam). IMO,Thompson records extremely "intelligent" abstract music. Sanctum, while more accessible than Acousma is no less stimulating or fascinating to delve into. However, since it is more "melodic" (in the very broadest sense of the word), it will appeal to drone-philes and open-minded ambientists too, hopefully.

Sound clips here:
http://www.lensrecords.com/detail.aspx?ID=30

spunknik

Just got the new 13disc Brume boxed set entitled "Accident de Chase".Amazing stuff but you have to like experimental music and have a very short attention span.Those fancy frenchmen!

APK

- David Kristian: Rhythms for a Rainy Season

Always enjoyable. Quirky rhythmic idm stuff.

http://www.davidkristian.com/rhythms.htm
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Mark Mushet

Quote from: mgriffin on March 25, 2008, 03:45:18 PM
Quote from: Mark Mushet on March 20, 2008, 05:53:07 PM
Well, I was listening to the new Steve Jansen CD Slope but I've mis-placed it. Sadly, I'm not that motivated to locate it as I'm not overly fond of the singing. The problem seems to be that by selecting multiple "acquired taste" vocalists, you multiply the "difficult to warm to in a hurry" factor by a power of ten. Will give it another try. As usual, though, the percussion and arrangements are tasty.

I had a chance to hear Slope this weekend, and I do think the vocals are as you described -- a succession of idiosyncratic vocalists, including Jansen himself doing his best (decent, not bad but not great) impression of his own brothers. But the music on this album is just fantastic.

I rediscovered my copy and gave it some more time. First impressions are right on this one. There are too many more solid and original works struggling to be heard for me to keep something like this based on a few instrumental snatches and a couple of vocal takes I like.

Anja Garbarek always sounds hideously mannered, precious and self-consciously "avant garde" to be taken seriously. She's another who's padded her work with "names" but then let's down the overall production...unlike the Batt Bros. I'd much prefer Steve Jansen (who I'll always lend an ear to and often really enjoy) meet up with Susanna Wallumrud.

Jansen was recently profiled in The Wire.

jkn

I've had muse - absolution on repeat play all day.   It fits my mood today and I haven't really felt like switching it out.

Yesterday I had the new disturbed earth - sho album on all afternoon.

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Undershadow

Willits + Sakamoto :: Ocean Fire (12k) 

"US nouveau pop-microsound surfer, Christopher Willits, and Japanese pioneer of proto-ambient cinematics, Ryuichi Sakamoto, bring something elemental to bear on Ocean Fire's ivory-stretching and string-wringing electronica.[...]"

http://www.igloomag.com/doc.php?task=view&id=1687&category=reviews

Joe R

Alan-

I agree. Ocean Fire is a great disc!

judd stephens

Quote from: jkn on March 27, 2008, 12:41:26 PM

Yesterday I had the new disturbed earth - sho album on all afternoon.

Hey John I listened to the samples of Sho.  The first piece sounds cool- really zen with the bells and all.  The 2nd track I wasn't too sure about... could you describe the 2nd piece?  How does it unfold?

Antdude

Entia Non - Fold
Rumforskning - Fremtiden, Livstegn

Thanks, APK!  :)

These are terrific.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

SiF

Quote from: Undershadow on March 23, 2008, 01:27:23 PM
Now playing: an excellent download from a new ambient-dub-techno bloke, Severence, apparently of one of his broadcasts on mpiii.com radio. This is a great reminder of how good it can get when ambient shifts to dub and dub to techno and back to ambient, an' t'ing. Includes a bunch of these new ambient-dub-techno fellahs like Quantec, Atheus, BvDub, Havantepe, and Severence himself, as well as more established torch-bearer of the BC/CR tradition, Rod Modell/Deepchord. For those who like ambient-dub and dub-techno, I haven't heard this good a mix in a long time - no hype.

severence - severence live on mpiii.com radio 26-02-2008 (320 kbps mp3)

link: http://www.severence.net/sounds/severence.net-radio-26-02-2008.zip

Found a tracklist on his myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/severencespain) which I've cut and pasted:

tracks:-
severence - cipralex clouds
atheus - history of dark matter
sirens of stlantis - phoenix (ft. rim)
quantec - 2082
audiostatic - light of day
channel 73 vs grit - lv 426
havantepe - topcular
shinsuke matsumoto - meditations
deepchord - vantage isle (cv313 reduction II)
deepchord - vantage isle (cv313 reduction)
rod modell - morning again
quantec - 2081 felicity
burial - in mcdonalds
bvdub - somewhere far away
m. von schommer - dc15
john foxx & harold budd - underwater flowers
krill minima - radiodub1
dubatech - five horizons
dubatech - sun tribe
quantec - 2079 contact
rod modell - temple
ryan teague - study for prepared violin
urban force – balanced

Can someone tell me which artist i hear at
the minute mark 41:00 - 44:40 min.

I am to lazy to mark each beginning and end
of each track. It would be cool if severence
could post the exact start and end time of
each song.

That part between 41-44min is breathtaking.
Need more of it.

Parallel Worlds

Pete Namlook & Higher Intelligence Agency - S.H.A.D.O.
Ian Boddy & Chris Carter - Caged
www.parallel-worlds-music.com
www.facebook.com/parallelworldsmusic
www.DiN.org.uk

Undershadow

Quote from: SiF on March 30, 2008, 06:36:24 AM
Now playing: an excellent download from a new ambient-dub-techno bloke, Severence, apparently of one of his broadcasts on mpiii.com radio. [...]

severence - severence live on mpiii.com radio 26-02-2008 (320 kbps mp3) [...]

Can someone tell me which artist i hear at the minute mark 41:00 - 44:40 min.

I am to lazy to mark each beginning and end of each track. It would be cool if severence
could post the exact start and end time of each song.

That part between 41-44min is breathtaking. Need more of it.

Yep. I can make out Burial's "In Mcdonalds" coming in around that time (the soul diva ghost vocal gives it away), probably with the residue of Quantec's "2081 Felicity" still smearing itself over it (though I don't know this track of his - it's unreleased, AFAIK), and presumably the beginning of a kick drum from the next track gradually creeping up. But, yeah, the main source for that segment is the Burial track. I would, however, caution against the Burial album (Untrue - the 2nd album, not the first) as a whole - it's um... different from this, so you won't be getting the "more of it" that you're looking for.

SiF

Quote from: Undershadow on March 30, 2008, 09:22:01 AM
Now playing: an excellent download from a new ambient-dub-techno bloke, Severence, apparently of one of his broadcasts on mpiii.com radio. [...]

I am to lazy to mark each beginning and end of each track. It would be cool if severence

Yep. I can make out Burial's "In Mcdonalds" coming in around that time (the soul diva ghost vocal gives it away), probably with the residue of Quantec's "2081 Felicity" still smearing itself over it (though I don't know this track of his - it's unreleased, AFAIK), and presumably the beginning of a kick drum from the next track gradually creeping up. But, yeah, the main source for that segment is the Burial track. I would, however, caution against the Burial album (Untrue - the 2nd album, not the first) as a whole - it's um... different from this, so you won't be getting the "more of it" that you're looking for.

Thanks Alan.
I already thought about Burial, because of those
pitched Vocals. I had untrue, but did not liked it.
Will try his first one.

Undershadow

Quote from: SiF on March 30, 2008, 10:22:10 AM
Quote from: Undershadow on March 30, 2008, 09:22:01 AM

Thanks Alan.
I already thought about Burial, because of those
pitched Vocals. I had untrue, but did not liked it.
Will try his first one.

Ugh. I think you misunderstood, Martin. I didn't mean to advise caution against the 2nd album and suggest the 1st instead; I meant:
The track is off the 2nd Burial, not the 1st. Caution against Burial full stop/period/point/punkt/punto.
The s/t debut isn't so different from Untrue as to make it potentially appealing. It's still full of those annoying tippy-tappety herky-jerky UK-garage stumble-rhythms and those pitched diva-wraiths floating around among cheap'n'nasty post-rave-dancefloor mel-odrama/ancholy string sequences - queasy stuff. I can get how/why the Burial project appeals to those who've written swathes of prose analysing it, but I just can't like it.

SiF

No misunderstanding, Alan.
Got you right away.
I am no big fan of burial too, but
i like Night Bus from his first record
as far as i listened.
Rain always gets me. :D

Brian Bieniowski

I feel the same way about Burial: what's the big deal?  I was never much a fan of the trip-hop artists in the late, lamented 90s, (Massive Attack, Portishead, etc.) and I find that many fans of dubstep were—perhaps that's the difference.  To me, what little I've heard seems thin and simple, utilizing ghostly ambient textures to make the music sound more deep and spacious than it actually is.  Plus there's the inevitable hype machine around dubstep.  Why should Burial get more attention than that excellent Echospace record, for example?   ???

Today:

Alio Die—Password for Entheogenic Experience
Is there a trippier album on earth?!?  Like falling down a well on mescaline.

Michael Stearns—Planetary Unfolding
Inspired by the Stearns topic over in Non-Hypnos Artists.

uhurit

I think Alio Die's Password for Entheogenic Experience takes the cake as the <trippiest album ever>, IMO