Author Topic: Currently listening, part 1  (Read 4357366 times)

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
Re: Currently listening, part 1
« Reply #4000 on: March 05, 2014, 08:02:19 PM »
Optical Frameworks - Vibrant  -  more ambient & less musical than the other Optical Frameworks releases but still interesting.
cv313 - dimensional space  -  very typical Echospace music, good dubby beats & synth washes.

non-ambient:
Elbow - The Take Off And Landing Of Everything  -  haven't really listened to this yet as I just pre-ordered it today but got the immediate download.  First time through sounds excellent.
St Vincent - St Vincent  -  Excellent!  But then I have a thing for Annie Clark.  ::)

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4001 on: March 08, 2014, 07:37:25 AM »
Porya Hatami - Shallow
New release from the Tench label. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff: electro-acoustic looping and noodling with a mixture of field recordings, clicks, and pops. The sounds feel as if they are bubbling up to the surface. Joe R--this is a great followup to Land and quite similar in style. Porya also seems to have a lot of new releases lined up across the world, including new collaborations with Lee Anthony Norris on Carpe Sonum and ...txt.

Samples/Buy: http://www.tenchrec.com/

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: March 09, 2014, 06:01:42 AM »
Thanks for the tip on that new Porya Hatami, Chris. Unstable is good as well, you can pick that up on Bandcamp.

Meanwhile, I took Dave Michuda's tip and downloaded Optical Frameworks- Vibrant. I love this stuff. It's a very diffuse, distant-sounding recording. Listening through headphones, I get that same vague sense of aching distance that I get when I stand in a empty field at twilight, all alone. Beautiful and peaceful and still, yet so isolated...

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: March 09, 2014, 12:13:07 PM »
Right now:

Nunc Stans & Mystified- One Thousand Dreams- One of Anthony's unsung masterpieces. This is so good and so trippy, but I never see anyone else talking about it. Definitely needs more exposure.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4004 on: March 09, 2014, 12:51:45 PM »
Hi, Joe. I streamed Unstable earlier today. You're right--great stuff. I might have to place an order for it. Also gave Optical Frameworks a listen. Good stuff too.

thirdsystem: I gave Northaunt a listen too. It freaked me out a bit--in a way I can appreciate. Nice find.

Now playing:
M. Ostermeier - The Rules of Another Small World
From the curator of Tench Records. Very similar in spirit to the Porya Hatami release from the same label. One part piano, one part electronics, one part found sounds, and one part dusty processing. This is a really neat CD. And the cover art is crazy compelling.
Samples/Buy: http://www.tenchrec.com/TCH04.html

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4005 on: March 09, 2014, 02:45:54 PM »
Chris, I think you're gonna love Unstable.

Meanwhile, I'm looking up the M. Ostermeier disc...

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4006 on: March 09, 2014, 03:03:55 PM »
Enjoying the Tench label releases in general.....thanks for the heads up Chris
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4007 on: March 09, 2014, 05:11:52 PM »
Right now:

Nunc Stans & Mystified- One Thousand Dreams- One of Anthony's unsung masterpieces. This is so good and so trippy, but I never see anyone else talking about it. Definitely needs more exposure.

Thanks Joe.
A track was actually played on HOS a few weeks ago, so not completely overlooked.
Here is its page if anyone would like to hear some samples:
http://www.dataobscura.com/proddetail.php?prod=DO-042
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 05:14:03 PM by APK »
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: March 09, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »
I encourage everyone who hasn't heard One Thousand Dreams to take a listen to the samples. But the music is subtle, so it won't grab you by the throat at the first listen. The music is deep and complex, and reveals itself layer by layer- kind of like peeling an onion down to it's core. You will be rewarded when you take the time to listen and assimilate the sounds. A great, great disc, but unfortunately it took me a few years to appreciate it's brilliance.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: March 10, 2014, 01:36:56 AM »
Mozart's Requiem -

up to the point that his student completed it after his death. I don't know if 'knowing' that Mozart didn't finish the music made me listen differently, but the last parts did feel unlike the earlier parts, perhaps more bombastic than he would have written.

but who knows, I could be imagining it.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: March 10, 2014, 10:44:30 AM »
Mozart's Requiem -

up to the point that his student completed it after his death. I don't know if 'knowing' that Mozart didn't finish the music made me listen differently, but the last parts did feel unlike the earlier parts, perhaps more bombastic than he would have written.

but who knows, I could be imagining it.

Hi Seren,
I wasn't a huge fan of the Requiem when I first heard a portion of it, but enjoyed it more after I heard Colin Davis' rendition of it.  For me, the recording really captures the visceral essence of the piece as a last testament.

Forrest

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: March 10, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »
I have to admit coming to it via the film Amadeus.....

but I did enjoy the music and the way he used the orchestra and choir in the music.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #4012 on: March 10, 2014, 02:43:43 PM »
At work today, some random choices courtesy of my "Instrumental Music for Work" playlist on Spotify...

Arve Henriksen
- Chiaroscuro
Gavin Bryars - The Sinking of the Titanic
Svalastog - Woodwork
Labradford - Mi Media Naranja

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4013 on: March 11, 2014, 05:47:10 AM »

I was familiar with the Requiem but once I had seen Amadeus it completely change the way I listened to Mozart, especially the Requiem.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:38:13 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: March 11, 2014, 03:54:19 PM »

I was familiar with the Requiem but once I had seen Amadeus it complete change the way listened to Mozart, especially the Requiem.

Yes, I remember that movie, too.  It was a bit of an eye-opener hearing some of Mozart's darker works in that movie, like Don Giovanni.  Since then, I've appreciated his music more, especially the piano concertos.

Forrest

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4015 on: March 11, 2014, 07:49:28 PM »
Janek Schaefer - Lay-by Lullaby
This release has three noteworthy qualities. First, the sounds and imagery do a good job at creating a psychological space. When I listen to this, I feel as if I'm sitting on the side of an infrequently traveled highway, watching the sun go down, and hearing the occasional car speeding past. Second, the tracks are named after radio stations and the transition between tracks occasionally resembles the spinning of an old radio dial. Finally, the music itself is nice. It is familiar ambient in many respects, but captures some of the Western vibe that is represented in Roach/King. Adding to the sense of place and atmosphere in a subtle amount of radio static layered into the mix. Anyhow, this is a stand-out release for 12k. I'm not sure if it will appeal to everyone, but I feel that Schaefer accomplished something noteworthy. 
Samples/Buy: http://www.12k.com/index.php/site/releases/lay-by_lullaby/

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: March 12, 2014, 01:02:46 AM »

I was familiar with the Requiem but once I had seen Amadeus it complete change the way listened to Mozart, especially the Requiem.

Yes, I remember that movie, too.  It was a bit of an eye-opener hearing some of Mozart's darker works in that movie, like Don Giovanni.  Since then, I've appreciated his music more, especially the piano concertos.

Forrest

I was intrigued to learn from the liner notes that many facets of the film are factually based, even if the writers have made more of a story out of them.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: March 12, 2014, 09:13:18 AM »
Checking out this Nachtplank album on bandcamp;

"Ephemerol" Another Lee Anthony Norris side project. Fairly dark, atmospheric exploration of another world, complete with alien like voices and sounds from other lifeforms. Superb, will be getting this one soon.......

http://nachtplank.bandcamp.com/album/ephemerol

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4018 on: March 15, 2014, 08:45:37 AM »
Listening a lot to Mick Chillage's Saudade still. He's hit the sweet spot on this release.

Recent arrival that is interesting:

Various Artists - Liquified Sky
A data DVD from the LINE imprint with music and videos from Francisco López, Evelina Domnitch & Dmitry Gelfand, COH, Paul Prudence, and Asmus Tietchens. This is pretty neat stuff if you're into microsound or experimental electronic music. I'm not sure that this has much replay value, but the first few listens are excellent, especially with headphones.

Samples/Buy: http://www.lineimprint.com/editions/dvd/line_063/

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: March 15, 2014, 09:00:52 AM »
Morton Feldman- Rothko Chapel

A minimalist classic.