Author Topic: Omnivore's Dilemma & Local Food  (Read 21932 times)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Re: Omnivore's Dilemma & Local Food
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 10:42:39 AM »
It does suck that we can't get local fish; it's all from Alaska (wild-caught, so it's healthy) or from farms in Canada (fish farms are truly disgusting places - I will never eat a farmed fish as long as I live).  Lake Roosevelt (the Columbia River) is only 30 miles away, so catching fish is a possibility, but it's got the usual runoff pollution problems, so you never know what's in the fish meat.

Yeah. That's brutal. Have you seen the signs along the river in Spokane warning about the danger of eating the fish because its all downstream from a Superfund disaster zone in Idaho and elsewhere caused by a century or so of bad mining practices?

And I apologize for our fish farms. You see, our current govt. is populated by corrupt assholes and...oh wait...they ALL are!

Apology accepted; now what about Labatt Blue?  Someone should be held accountable...   ;D

I should point out that I'm not anti-Canuckistanian - some of my best friends are Canukistanis, and I used to hit Lake of the Woods yearly to steal catch fish in your waters - I hate all fish-farms equally.  Imagine a slurry of fish shit, hormones, antibiotics, and fish all churning away in a tank.  Oh, and red-dyed food to make the salmon meat appear naturally pink.  Yum, yum.

Back in Minnesota, we had fish-meat warnings because of Mercury from acid rain.  Here it's mercury, lead, and copper from shitty mining operations.  I guess nowhere is truly pristine anymore.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
There's a big city-workers strike on here in Toronto.
All the main attention is on the lack of garbage pickup
but many farmers markets on city property have to close
and this could be a long one...   :'(

Mark Mushet

• View Profile
    • Mark Mushet Photography
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 12:51:53 AM »
It does suck that we can't get local fish; it's all from Alaska (wild-caught, so it's healthy) or from farms in Canada (fish farms are truly disgusting places - I will never eat a farmed fish as long as I live).  Lake Roosevelt (the Columbia River) is only 30 miles away, so catching fish is a possibility, but it's got the usual runoff pollution problems, so you never know what's in the fish meat.

Yeah. That's brutal. Have you seen the signs along the river in Spokane warning about the danger of eating the fish because its all downstream from a Superfund disaster zone in Idaho and elsewhere caused by a century or so of bad mining practices?

And I apologize for our fish farms. You see, our current govt. is populated by corrupt assholes and...oh wait...they ALL are!

Apology accepted; now what about Labatt Blue?  Someone should be held accountable...   ;D

I should point out that I'm not anti-Canuckistanian - some of my best friends are Canukistanis.

Just don't hold me responsible for Nickleback, Buble, Adams and Dion (not Stephane!).