Author Topic: Alien prequel  (Read 14632 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Alien prequel
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:54:53 PM »
Saw a "preview" of the first Alien prequel (there will be two films) for 20th Century Fox.  No footage except scenes from the original, probably because shooting hasn't started.  Guess they've already decided on the title: "Alien Origin." Guess they HAD to use the word "Alien" in the title for marketing purposes. Yuk. Simply "Origin" would have been better IMO, or another title a bit more mysterious and less obvious.   

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Re: Alien prequel
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 04:20:51 AM »
I am approaching these films with caution.  In a way, I don't want to know about the space jockey... I love the idea that his story is never told, yet it's such a pivotal piece of information.  A rare thing in film, especially Hollywood.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Stellardrone

• View Profile
    • Stellardrone's official website
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 06:13:38 PM »
whyyyyyyyyy :( first Alien was very good intro. Why prequels? I am almost sure, that it will be same old action sci-fi as in Alien 2 or 3. Or at least I can't imagine what more interesting can they put into the prequel. Alien babies? Or history how evolved their race? Doubt it.  ???

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 06:10:30 AM »
As has been pointed out before, I think the wonder of the original was the mystery and unanswered questions.  It's what made 2001 so special as well.  I think what made all the Alien sequels so uninteresting was there was no real innovative story behind them.  Ridley Scott stated this is why he hasn't done sci-fi since Blade Runner, as a good story is very important to him.  I think a story about the origin of the alien could be very interesting, done right.  I think it's generally accepted by sci-fi fans this was an "alien race," but what about the possibility they were a genetically engineered biomechanoid weapon, a "supersoldier," by some other race of true "aliens"?  Scott has already suggested this by saying the derelict spaceship from the first film was carrying a cargo of the eggs as a weapon. 

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 09:08:26 AM »
Assuming the prequels are just a lame cash-in might be a mistake.  Ridley Scott is involved, so it could be quite interesting.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Altus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »
Fingers crossed they don't screw it up.  :P
www.altusmusic.ca

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 10:19:58 PM »
I too trust Ridley Scott not to sign off on anything less than a solid story.  My only concern is that the movie becomes a CGI-fest with all these huge, new aliens.  One thing I've noticed about CGI movies is that the ones with darker, drabber colors look better, like District 9 and the Minority Report.  The alien environment is definitely not "planet Naboo-colorful", so some tasteful CGI aliens might work even with something as large as that fossilized space jockey...   

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 10:39:39 PM »
As has been pointed out before, I think the wonder of the original was the mystery and unanswered questions.  It's what made 2001 so special as well.  I think what made all the Alien sequels so uninteresting was there was no real innovative story behind them.  Ridley Scott stated this is why he hasn't done sci-fi since Blade Runner, as a good story is very important to him.  I think a story about the origin of the alien could be very interesting, done right.  I think it's generally accepted by sci-fi fans this was an "alien race," but what about the possibility they were a genetically engineered biomechanoid weapon, a "supersoldier," by some other race of true "aliens"?  Scott has already suggested this by saying the derelict spaceship from the first film was carrying a cargo of the eggs as a weapon. 

The idea of a prequel involving these aliens doesn't interest me that much yet.  Maybe if I know how the humans are involved, it might change.  The thing is, the crew of the Nostromo were obviously unaware of these species of aliens, how humans had contact with them prior to the story of Alien remains a mystery. 

Another good mystery was Blade Runner- that being the Replicants and their off-world adventures, and just what was life like in general on the off-world colonies.  In the latest Hollywood spirit of creative bankruptcy, perhaps Sir Ridley will tackle this exciting chapter next!  :P

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 01:02:23 AM »
I don't think we have to worry about a CGI fest w/Ridley, he's critical of it being overused.  I'm hoping the prequels will be shot in the spirit of the original, w/models and other more "natural" techniques.  As for a Blade Runner revisit, of course it would be nice; just hope if one is made down the line it isn't some awful "remake" like Hollywood is so entrenched in right now. 

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 11:02:22 PM »
An interesting development has happened with this story, in fact, it looks like a new story altogether: 

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/14/alien-prequel-prometheus-ridley-scott/

Altus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 11:05:49 AM »
Very curious.  Thanks for the update.
www.altusmusic.ca

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 05:40:22 PM »
No problem.  I tend to agree now with your earlier comment, Altus, about the race of aliens best left as a mystery.

This is also in light of what was rumored about this movie featuring another female lead actress.  Of course I don't have a problem with that in general, it just seems like a nostalgic repeat of the events of Alien.   The actress confirmed was in the movie The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- now it seems she is to be a member of several in a crew for this project.  But that's what Ripley was in the first movie, so we'll see if she also ends up being the heroine. 

And like I said before, although humans at the time aren't unfamiliar with alien life, they seemed to have no prior knowledge of the big, fossilized space jockey.  It might have been a strain explaining the previous contact, so maybe scrapping that was ultimately in the stars, so to speak.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:44:44 PM by judd stephens »