Author Topic: Do you still want to learn?  (Read 25447 times)

Exuviae

• View Profile
Re: Do you still want to learn?
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 04:19:02 PM »
I agree with you, Mike. I know some people that just don't care to have any kind of driving passion or interest in anything outside of what you called "busy work". And that, I find sad...

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »
I've just decided to start learning something new.  I'm going to be doing a psychology degree starting next year.  I've already gotten all of the textbooks and am pre-studying like crazy.  It's an amazing field, and I'm really excited about going into it. 

One of the more daunting sides of it is the statistical component, but as I am studying that, it suddenly doesn't seem so scary anymore.  When I first opened the textbook, I screamed and thought 'oh my god, what have I done!'  It looked so scary, like physics or something (I grew up with a bit of a math phobia).  But it turns out to be a little easier than that.

The best thing about doing this, is the massive surge of what I can only call *happiness* I experienced when I decided to do it.  I felt like a little piece of the puzzle had been moved into place.  I'd be feeling a bit despondent before that.  I think learning new things can re-route our brain, and stop us from travelling those same old paths over and over again, wondering why we are living with this slightly deflated sense of being. 

It might sound funny, but I hadn't realised how out of condition my brain had become- I was kind of taking the easy route, and now I felt more alert, and just more 'with it'.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 03:37:30 PM »
after passing my diploma in 1999 Iworked in a provate residential care home for almost 10 years. Had lots of training, but only when I came into the public sector and started training there did I remember how good learning can make my head 'hurt'. I think that's the difference between training/learning that just keeps the boxes ticked and training/learning that really pushes the mind into really really thinking....

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 10:02:55 PM »
That's funny that you mention the "statistical component" as being a problem. I , too, had a math phobia. Back when I was in school (the early "70's) I got my degree in sociology. The one course I kept putting off was a statistics course. I finally took it the summer before my senior year. I was really dreading it. It became one of my favorite courses. I really got into it. I have to admit, though, that my all time favorite courses were in electronic music. Seven students in my first semester class and by the third semester only three of us hung around. It was like "heaven"  :)       Harry
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

cookie monster

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 07:23:08 AM »
I want to learn psychology.
A lot of counselors and psychosomatic medicine are not yet enough in Japan.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 04:19:40 PM »
cool topic and some strange replies, indeed.
in my field it is mandatory that we keep up with continuing education so i attend at least 15 seminars a year - some 3 - 4 days long. i am also creeping towards my masters in counseling, taking 1 course per year at carlow. at that rate i will have it when i am 65 or so..
recently (about 5 years ago) i learned how to use acid pro and i have taken bass guitar and violin lessons. i will probably learn the Native American flute and maybe the clarinet, too.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 04:30:50 PM »
Yes, as I feel right now, there is no doubt in my mind that my interest of learning new things does fade with time.
And I am not sure that to collect as much knowledge and read as many books as possible is the ultimate goal in life.
I have a more transcendental/cosmic approach to life, There is no definitive meaning of life as human on this planet we are born..  I see the life more as an dreamlike presence...
The meaning of life is to me to collect new experiences and just enjoy this mystery of life..And dream...
Music is for me the essence of my life, since it fills a void and makes me dissolve into inner dimensions and beyond...without it I think I would just feel a lot of emptiness...
Or maybe..I would find other passions to dispossess the time.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:36:58 PM by Immersion »

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 08:41:24 PM »
I have been toying with the idea of getting a master's degree in biomedical statistics. I have an undergrad in math, and I started a master's 20 years ago and didn't finish. Recently I have been thinking again about giving it aother try. I know for a fact my enjoyment of mathematics far outpaces my ability. The question will be, can I go just one more step? The thing about math is, no matter how hard you work, you will not advance beyond college-level math unless you learn how to think in a different way. It's not just a matter solving more complicated problems, it's learning to think in a way that is not natural to most human beings. Sometimes I think I get a glimpse of it, then it vanishes.

I've been reading a lot about set theory, which most math today is built on. Kind of like studying the customs of the natives before you travel. I also discovered that The Who goes well with set theory.

Bijectively yours,

MikeS

ambient789

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »
I attend community college part time and take IT classes. Going part time keeps me from feeling overwhelmed. One thing I'm trying to get involved with again is reading on Buddhism. I don't really practice the philosophy, even though there are a few things I like about it. Yet reading about it, people's experiences with it is quite fascinating and intellectually stimulating.

I can't give up on learning new things. Yet, I'm glad now that I have more freedom to pick what I want to learn, and learn about what is most important to me.