Author Topic: Bandcamp Fridays  (Read 922 times)

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
Bandcamp Fridays
« on: October 03, 2020, 06:39:50 AM »
I'm sure most of you are aware that Bandcamp has been waiting its share of fees on the first Friday of each month as a way to help support artists through the pandemic.

I thought this was a fantastic mechanism to help artists during a time when touring, live performances, etc. were less viable.

But, as a fan, I've noticed something: I tend to buy a bunch of stuff on Bandcamp Fridays, but then I am not able to digest it in the way it deserves. On Bandcamp Fridays, I become an ambient glutton who is tasting a bit of everything, but not actually savoring anything.

I've avoiding buying too many releases on these last two occasions, and it has worked out better for me. I have had more time to listen to and enjoy the things I've been purchasing lately.

Just curious if you all--either as fans or artists--have interesting Bandcamp Fridays stories to share.

stargazer

• View Profile
    • Jaja
Re: Bandcamp Fridays
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 03:54:42 AM »
Bandcamp and Bandcamp's friday are really excellent supporters of independent music. They create a global platform for music. Musicians and fans find each other in a unique way.

I see myself as a musician and fan and, like you, Chris, experience both sides. As a musician who freely offers his music to a fan base, I am infinitely grateful for the support from my fans.
It allows me to do things like CD productions that would never have been possible without the help of my fans.

As a fan, I love to support other music projects. I don't call that payment either, but rather support or a gesture. Right now, when I work almost exclusively in the home office, I listen to a lot of music.
The music that I listen to very often I buy or donate a reasonable amount. That's only fair, because what I get as a musician I want to give as a fan.

I don't really pay much attention to Bandcamp's fridays. I actually always buy when I've decided on an album. I recently bought a Hilyard album by chance on a Bandcamp's friday.
That was of course very nice, since the Bandcamp fees are waived for the musician.

As a musician you not only have 15% fees for digital sales and 10% fees for CD sales at Bandcamp, but also around 5% PayPal fees. At least if you take over these Paypal fees yourself and not pass them on to the fans.
By the way, you can adjust that. On average (2014 to 2020) I had a total fee load of 17.9%.

I actually like to pass my savings on these Bandcamp's fridays on to my fans if they want to buy a CD from me. But such actions are still rather sporadic at the moment.
Overall, I am enthusiastic about the musician-fan-platform Bandcamp. It's been a wonderful and enriching platform since I've known it.