Author Topic: what are you listening on?  (Read 810 times)

Seren

• View Profile
what are you listening on?
« on: March 31, 2021, 12:59:57 PM »
We had planned a trip abroad for my 60th this year, but I'm not getting on a plane at present...
   I've had my hi-fi for many years - CD and amp for 22 years, speakers for 17 and a DAC for about 5.
   So after some discussion we agreed I could upgrade my hi-fi...and spend an amount that I may not get the chance to do again
Pics are:

Technics SL-PS 770D CD player

Technics Su-A900mk2 amp

Beresford Bushmaster Dac

JMLab Cobalt 816

So after umming and ahhing and not being able to go into a shop to audition I decided to upgrade the CD player to a Naim CD5si

which has 28 less buttons on it.....
   also very minimal on features - only analogue audio out and no digital in. Not even a cd drawer mechanism, you lay it on, put on a magnetic puck and push the drawer closed. Almost the sense of laying a needle to a record....
   I also had to get new interconnects to go with it - Chord company Clearway.

The nice man in the hi-fi shop did me a deal on an ex demo model that has hardly been played due to lockdown and he had some speaker cable off cuts that were exactly the length I needed so he terminated them and only charged me for the termination  - so I got 120 worth of cables thrown in for free that direct from the manufacturer or amazon would have been about 220....

I picked it all up up last Friday, had it all set up in about 30 mins and spent a number of hours listening. I had thought my amp might not be able to cope, but it is doing a stirling job so far. the sound is so improved / different that after a few hours my brain was running out of my ears. Hearing things never heard before or hearing things i had heard but much more clearly (not always for the best - including my own music).
   Definitely a time of being halfway through one track and trying hard not to immediately put on another when I think 'my god, what will that sound like'.
   So I may be spending more time listening to music in the near future than making it...

...I'm always interested in what people listen on and in lockdown I can't get anyone round and say OH MY GOD LISTEN TO THIS...so sharing my excitement here....

stargazer

• View Profile
    • Jaja
Re: what are you listening on?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 01:02:18 AM »
For me Technics is one of the greatest brands ever. I still have two 20 year old MKII turntables and a double tapedeck.
I used to have Technic CD-Players too. I dont like listening CDs through computer and will buy a player one day again.

Also for me is a great thing to listen to music through subwoover. I always loved them on parties and when djing. I love it now when producing and listening. The room sound is another one.
Of course a good sound system brings out all the frequencies in music that you may not hear through smaller systems e.g. computer and headphones.

The sound reveals through a sound system. My last release was created on Adam Sub8 and Samson ResolvSE8. I will upgrade to a complete Adam system one day.
Have fun with your's Andy :)

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 06:56:00 AM »
Thanks, Jaja.
I am definitely having fun - and 'shock'  :o culling my CD collection. I have many I don't play so have been sifting through them - seeing how they sound and deciding whether or not to keep them....

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 10:55:16 AM »
My living room setup is:

Yamaha RX-A3000 amp/receiver.
NHT 2.9 front speakers.
NHT SuperZero 2.1 rear speakers.
B & O Beogram RX 2 turntable.
Onkyo R1 CD player connected digitally to the Yamaha.
Marantz SD-57 cassette deck.
Sony BDP-BX39 Blu-ray player for SACD, HDCD, and 5.1 audio DVDs, and the odd movie or two.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 04:28:06 AM »
This would be my most "hifi" setup and at one time it was in the living room but now I use it for drum practice play alongs and dreaming Im in a band.  Does sound good.

NHT "Three" Bookshelf speakers

This is my main listening environment......my studio.   It is actually not the best because a dedicated listening place like a living room sitting in your favorite chair is the best.  Its easy to be distracted in here by a creative spark or a  email notification :o

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:34:14 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 12:05:09 PM »
Just sold my technics CD player and amp - been saving and selling things so hoping to get amp matching my CD player (ex-demo again) on order tomorrow... 8)